Ref Watch

I'm going to guess that this is because PGMOL and/or the PL won't go after Arteta's comments where he said it wasn't a mistake or human error - very clearly implying Mason was corrupt or made the decision on purpose.
Hypocritical if they don't charge Arteta, given that they recently charged Billy Sharp for suggesting the referee helped their opposition in a recent game.

Billy Sharp: Sheffield United striker charged for referee comments after Wrexham win - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64681921

Totally agree with your point about stating the purpose of the law at the outset. This is what Webb tries to do before he goes on to make up some excuse for a mistake. (See his explanation about the Rashford decision). He's admitted that it should have been offside, and will be penalised as such in future.

Regarding your interpretation of 'challenge', this is already prescribed in the LOTG.

It's pretty clear that Haaland and Gabriel were challenging each other, and it's therefore hard to argue that the offside decision wasn't correct - under the current interpretation of the law. However, it is also pertinent that Haaland achieved an onside position before challenging for the ball, so he didn't gain any advantage by being in the offside position. Your suggested statement to summarise the purpose of the law should resolve this kind of dilemma.

IFAB determined that the law was already sufficient after the Rashford incident, and this is absolutely correct. It was the refereeing team that got this totally wrong. Oliver on VAR and Cann on the line are as much to blame as Attwell for letting that goal stand. Webb's weasel words about subjectivity are merely obfuscation.
51410a86cc75349e3e4f48e5aced2c5c.jpg
I wholly take the point that it is difficult to say that any contact isn’t a challenge but you can‘t easily have a foul without contact, so it becomes debatable. As I recall the penalty in the City European game was where the attacker was behind the City line at a free kick and in the rush to get back as the kick came in there was a tangle of legs and the attacker went down. In principle that does’t seem any more clear cut than with Haaland. I remember it because it was the first time I realised that that clause existed. It was an away game but I can’t remember any more details. Then the Kane penalty followed a similar pattern.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.