Ref Watch

Stop the stadium clock every time the play stops.
Head injuries (Unless obviously serious), treat player as play continues as in rugby.
VAR, let everyone in the stadium hear and see the conversations. Obviously not possible at a couple of stadiums though.
Book every player who grapples in the box at corners/free kicks. Once a team has players sent off they will cotton on.
Every referee must declare their allegiances publicly.
Throw ins to be taken where the ball leaves the pitch (not 20 yards further forward, Ben Orange!)

Just a few for starters
Nearly every tackle these days is made with full use of a defender's arms, and rarely are they penalised.

An absolute joke that theh 2nd pen wasn't given by the on-field referee at the time. Never mind the amount of time it took when he went over to the monitor.. What was the discussion? "Do I have to give this one too? Are you sure? Are you positive? Are you definitely sure? Can't we just stick with the original decision?"

I really do not like Pawson.

An absolute joke that theh 2nd pen wasn't given by the on-field referee at the time. Never mind the amount of time it took when he went over to the monitor.. What was the discussion? "Do I have to give this one too? Are you sure? Are you positive? Are you definitely sure? Can't we just stick with the original decision?"

I really do not like Pawson.
Compare that to Havertz deliberately dragging his foot across the floor to make sure he gets contact when his first touch is going out. No questions there. How is that not something they can address? They can judge handball based on a 'natural arm position' so why can't they judge penalties on whether a player's foot or leg is in a natural position when he gets tripped? If your foot is already dragging along the ground when the contact happens, no foul.

I thought Pawson's man marking today was excellent.

On one of our corners, KdB and Foden had a discussion over by the corner, Foden left and stood unmarked on the edge of the box, it was clear as day what the plan was, then Pawson came over and stood directly in front of Phil, so Kev had no choice but to put it in the box.

That wasn't the only time this happened.

INCIDENT: Let's start at the Emirates and the race for the Premier League title. Arsenal were awarded a penalty after referee David Coote felt Bournemouth goalkeeper Mark Travers brought down Kai Havertz.

DERMOT SAYS: "When you see it in real-time, you think it's a penalty all day long. When you see it slowed down, it's totally different. But is this what we want to do, forensically diagnose every decision in slow motion? I'm not sure supporters do. Travers goes with his feet and doesn't get the ball. Once you commit like that, you have to get the ball. Is Havertz obliged to step over him? Only he can say, but he doesn't get the ball and the referee gives a penalty. I can understand why it's given on-field and I can understand why it's not overturned."

INCIDENT: On Saturday Night Football, Manchester City were awarded a penalty in their win over Wolves when Rayan Ait-Nouri collided with Josko Gvardiol. Gary O'Neil was watching this from the stands due to suspension and wasn't impressed - was this harsh?

DERMOT SAYS: "Not a penalty for me. This is the kind of decision you see time and again in a football match, but I didn't think it was a penalty.

"It was two players going for the ball."

—————

So, to recap…

Bournemouth keeper lunging in and not getting the ball, but not actually initiating contact with the Arsenal attacker in the box: deserved penalty.

Wolves defender lunging in, studs up, above the waist, and not getting the ball, initiating contact with the City player’s leg in the box (and clearing him out): undeserved penalty.

Expert analysis at its best.

Last edited:
INCIDENT: Let's start at the Emirates and the race for the Premier League title. Arsenal were awarded a penalty after referee David Coote felt Bournemouth goalkeeper Mark Travers brought down Kai Havertz.

DERMOT SAYS: "When you see it in real-time, you think it's a penalty all day long. When you see it slowed down, it's totally different. But is this what we want to do, forensically diagnose every decision in slow motion? I'm not sure supporters do. Travers goes with his feet and doesn't get the ball. Once you commit like that, you have to get the ball. Is Havertz obliged to step over him? Only he can say, but he doesn't get the ball and the referee gives a penalty. I can understand why it's given on-field and I can understand why it's not overturned."

INCIDENT: On Saturday Night Football, Manchester City were awarded a penalty in their win over Wolves when Rayan Ait-Nouri collided with Josko Gvardiol. Gary O'Neil was watching this from the stands due to suspension and wasn't impressed - was this harsh?

DERMOT SAYS: "Not a penalty for me. This is the kind of decision you see time and again in a football match, but I didn't think it was a penalty.

"It was two players going for the ball."

—————

So, to recap…

Bournemouth keeper lounging in and not getting the ball, but not actually initiating contact with the Arsenal attacker in the box: deserved penalty.

Wolves defender lounging in, studs up, above the waist, and not getting the ball, initiating contact with the City player’s leg in the box (and clearing him out): undeserved penalty.

Expert analysis at its best.

Dale Johnson on ESPN is the same: higher threshold for penalty here, higher threshold for intervention there, foul anywhere else on the pitch but not in the box, faintest of touches of the boot on the head, VAR isn't about consistency ....

It's all wearing a bit thin.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.