Referees’ Performances 2018/19

And I've seen those blown as fouls before and overruled for offside, both by the linesman and VAR.
The law isn't an ass when it's applied consistently.
It wasn't applied at all here imo, the VAR didn't ever check for offside and UEFA are scrambling to cover for it.
Of course, that angle could be cleared up if the refs were miked up as they should be.

I don't recall seeing any, but it wouldn't surprise me.
I don't know if VAR was used for it at all for this one, or (as someone had suggested), it had been dumped for 'ref's call' matters as the screen wasn't available. It's definitely a huge screw-up for UEFA to explain away.

I'm not sure about consistency - it will still come down to when a player is judged to be committing an offside offence, as opposed to only being in an offside position. It's conceivable (albeit unlikely) that the freekick would have been a direct shot, at which point the attackers are less likely to be committing an offside offence; that means the flag has to wait a little.
In this case, the flag didn't go up, so the linesman must (presumably) have thought they weren't committing an offence yet.

(ignoring the 'they're bent' option)

I would say he was too.
However, if it's at a distance from the ball , there is room for referee's opinion.

As I see it, eIther the foul or the offside could have been given, and either would have been justifiable. The current law is an ass.

What I suspect happened is that the ref wasn't especially looking at the ball, but was watching the mob in the area. He wouldn't have been able to see the offside, so he blew for the foul he saw.

I think that's exactly what happened.

Then VAR also looked only at the foul, if they were worried about offside it would have taken minutes not the seconds it did take

Then UEFA tried to justify the decision whatever way would sound best.

refvwatch coming on whats the betting first second elbow not mentioned and hell back up the offside goal

I think that's exactly what happened.

Then VAR also looked only at the foul, if they were worried about offside it would have taken minutes not the seconds it did take

Then UEFA tried to justify the decision whatever way would sound best.
I agree, I don't think they considered offside at the time. They should follow a similar protocol to Cricket where they systematically consider and rule out all possibilities (was it a no ball, did it pitch outside leg stump, etc.).

Why wasn't Chelsea's keeper booked for time wasting. Sick of hearing it was nothing to do with the ref, if he had taken control the matter would have been sorted a lot quicker as a second yellow if he still refused to go off would have sorted the matter.
That said I am glad it was Pants in nets for the penalties !

Last nights was good. Let the game flow and gave us a nice soft pen!

Was the 'foul' on Aguero just before the penalty a foul ? I don't know, I was there and it looked like it but could be wrong. (This is not a moan by the way as I agree with you, he let the game flow and I have no complaints.

(apart from the keeper time wasting !)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.