Referees’ Performances | 2024/2025

This is it all in a nutshell. You think he’s ok when you’ve seen him in other games but not today - when he’s reffed us. Grealish dived. He also waved away their penalty claim which, if that was the other end, I’d have been pissed if we didn’t get. He didn’t even blink though, just didn’t give it.

We are, to other clubs, the most favoured club in the league where refs and their decisions are concerned.

Good old fan bias. Age old.
IMHO Jack didn’t dive and for him to be booked was ridiculous, the ref couldn’t be absolutely sure, how many times have we seen players dive and nothing happens, even when it’s absolutely certain they have?
Not sure about the merits of their claim, not seen a replay and in real time I thought it might be

IMHO Jack didn’t dive and for him to be booked was ridiculous, the ref couldn’t be absolutely sure, how many times have we seen players dive and nothing happens, even when it’s absolutely certain they have?
Not sure about the merits of their claim, not seen a replay and in real time I thought it might be
The refs normally say that sort of incident is a coming together, when they don’t give the pen. The booking decision was strange.

I don’t get the “ref was terrible “ ?
He generally let the game flow and in the big decisions VAR did its job far better than in previous seasons. The ref did however become slightly card happy second half but a lot of refs in the PL do this . 7/10 performance for me no big deal !

Seen worse, letting the game flow at least, but still teetered on the edge of uselessness. Missed the drag down on Haaland in the 1st minute, let Delap jump into Dias and Akanji countless times, managed to award a goal kick for the stonewall penalty on Savinho and topped it all off by booking Grealish for diving when a) he didn’t even appeal for a penalty and b) there was clear contact, as evidenced by the defender’s boot coming off in the process of catching Grealish’s foot

Last edited:
This is it all in a nutshell. You think he’s ok when you’ve seen him in other games but not today - when he’s reffed us. Grealish dived. He also waved away their penalty claim which, if that was the other end, I’d have been pissed if we didn’t get. He didn’t even blink though, just didn’t give it.

We are, to other clubs, the most favoured club in the league where refs and their decisions are concerned.

Good old fan bias. Age old.
Every set of fans in the country think their club is hard done to by the officials. Every single one. A few of those fanbases even have songs about it. Every forum I know of has this kind of thread concentrating on everything that goes wrong against them.

Most of these fans just select half a dozen examples, from the 250 decisions refs make in every game, and only look at what they think has gone against them and rarely if ever looking at what the ref’s got wrong in their team’s favour or all the things the ref’s got right… all just done to cement their confirmation biases.

Analysis on wrong decisions was done about five years ago and they found that 98% of all decisions made by refs are correct. It was done again last season and it found a similar figure of 96% correct. On average they get 5 decisions wrong a game. It happens, they’re human.

Last season they also looked at VAR and who got the rough and the smooth. It showed that Liverpool got the most number of wrong decisions go against them, yet you’d listen to City, Everton and United fans’ opinions on refs and they’d all tell you that Liverpool are favoured compared to everyone else.

Like you say, yesterday Ipswich should have had a penalty, also Lewis dived three times and wasn’t booked for any of them. Those are the sort of things Ipswich fans will pick up on while also ignoring other things that went on in their favour because their fanbase is the same as our fanbase who do the same, because all fanbases do it.

Over the years, Fulham fans have the hump about City getting all the decisions go our way: from the Sterling joke of a penalty, de Bruyne’s joke of a penalty that won us the game in injury time, Aké’s goal when Akanji was offside… but I bet if you analyse all decisions between the two teams, it won’t be as one-sided as Fulham fans think.

Every set of fans in the country think their club is hard done to by the officials. Every single one. A few of those fanbases even have songs about it. Every forum I know of has this kind of thread concentrating on everything that goes wrong against them.

Most of these fans just select half a dozen examples, from the 250 decisions refs make in every game, and only look at what they think has gone against them and rarely if ever looking at what the ref’s got wrong in their team’s favour or all the things the ref’s got right… all just done to cement their confirmation biases.

Analysis on wrong decisions was done about five years ago and they found that 98% of all decisions made by refs are correct. It was done again last season and it found a similar figure of 96% correct. On average they get 5 decisions wrong a game. It happens, they’re human.

Last season they also looked at VAR and who got the rough and the smooth. It showed that Liverpool got the most number of wrong decisions go against them, yet you’d listen to City, Everton and United fans’ opinions on refs and they’d all tell you that Liverpool are favoured compared to everyone else.

Like you say, yesterday Ipswich should have had a penalty, also Lewis dived three times and wasn’t booked for any of them. Those are the sort of things Ipswich fans will pick up on while also ignoring other things that went on in their favour because their fanbase is the same as our fanbase who do the same, because all fanbases do it.

Over the years, Fulham fans have the hump about City getting all the decisions go our way: from the Sterling joke of a penalty, de Bruyne’s joke of a penalty that won us the game in injury time, Aké’s goal when Akanji was offside… but I bet if you analyse all decisions between the two teams, it won’t be as one-sided as Fulham fans think.
Quality post, but RAWK say we are favoured. Just amplifies your post though.

Bravo.

More convinced than ever we get a bad rap looking at the posters defending them..

Last edited:

You’re not going to win the new poster of the year award with common sense nonsense like that.

Are you able to provide links to the analysis of officiating and VAR that you are referring to?

I am aware of PGMOL’s analysis of its own officiating and VAR outcomes that found very high rates of correct decisions, and have spoken—as a data scientist with two decades in financial analytics, economic analysis, and statistical fraud detection and prevention—to why that shouldn’t be used to form any real conclusions, given the source of the analysis.

PGMOL will always find a body of evidence that their officials get the vast majority of decisions correct, and the way in which they defined the analysis universe was highly problematic, as is often the case with attempting to create quantitative analysis of qualitative (subjective) assessments. This is without getting in to the flaws of how the actual decisions are recorded and assessed (many decisions aren’t actually represented in the data because the officials decided not to act in a particular moment, and thus do not should up at all in officiating analysis).

Interestingly enough, prior to the introduction of VAR, PGMOL claimed that officials got 98% of decisions correct. Then, after VAR was implemented, they claimed that it had significantly improved the rate of correct decisions compared to pre-VAR seasons, which would, of course, be statistically highly improbable (bordering impossible), even ignoring our ability to analyse officiating and see there is not now a greater than 98% correct decision rate. 98% itself is highly improbable given humans are making the decisions in real time (a 98% rate would make PL match officials the single most accurate group of human beings on the planet).

I am also aware of the Sky Sports and ESPN VAR analyses that are widely accepted as quite dubious by football fans that also happen to have some statistical expertise and understanding of the methodology being used.

I am genuinely curious to dig in to the analyses you have read.

Regarding Lewis diving three times, I don’t recall that happening. Could you provide the minutes in which you believe he dived? I would like to watch those passages to get a sense if I missed it.

As far as statistics that could help support that the referee may not have been balanced in his officiating, I think the basic possession, fouls, and cards count is helpful in providing some context (of course, it still is plagued by the aforementioned issue of non-decisions not being captured and multiple fouls in a single sequence not being fully reflected).

Ipswich: 24% possession, 15 fouls, 3 yellows
City: 76% possession, 4 fouls, 2 yellows

It tells a story, even without noting that he let a fair few challenges from Ipswich players go that probably should have been given as fouls, including the early pull back on Haaland that should have been a penalty, and only gave one foul (no card) for a 5 second sequence that saw Delap elbow Akanji’s throat, swing his arm around to forearm Manu’s chest to finish the job, and then go studs up in to Gvardiol’s shin, just below his knee. And that was only three of about 8 very questionable challenges Delap put in on our players before he was subbed off without a yellow. Also worth noting Dias got booked for putting his arm across a player (his first foul) literally seconds after one of theirs did it and merely got a foul, and Grealish got booked for being fouled in the Ipswich box.

I personally think—having more time to ruminate on his overall performance—that he was drafted in unready (due to the injury to the initial referee in the warm up), the occasion was too much for him, and he leaned too far in to the well-known “home team officiating effect” (which sees officials often be more lenient on away teams to avoid the appearance of favouritism to the home team) rather than any conspiracies.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.