Referees/Officials Thread - 2023/24

Something that has long being an annoyance of mine and I know other people on here, is finally being addressed.

Namely the reluctance of referees to enforce the six second rule for goalkeepers to release the ball.

Trials are being planned in lower leagues next season, which may lead to a change of the laws by 2026/27.

The main points of the trial are:

*Goalkeepers to be allowed eight seconds to release the ball.

*The referee will raise his hand and count down the final five seconds for everyone to see.

* The penalty if the ball isn’t released in time will be either a throw in level with the penalty area or a corner. Participating leagues can choose which they use but have to stick with one or the other throughout the trial.

* First offence will bring a warning. A second offence, a yellow card and a third offence a second yellow/ red.
And yet they’ve introduced this stupid rule that the ball boy can’t throw the ball to the player when it’s a throw in, thus slowing the game down.

That the six seconds only starts when the opposition are out of the penalty area?

I’ve never heard that mate and it certainly hasn’t ever been in the laws of the game.
"An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it"

The law is above. Anything else is just interpretation, and might vary between referees, competitions, countries, leagues etc.

I'd love the stopwatch and cut it down to 35 mins (or whatever is humane on the players).

Could still have penalties for time wastage within that, eg. 10 seconds for thus or 5 seconds for that

And yet they’ve introduced this stupid rule that the ball boy can’t throw the ball to the player when it’s a throw in, thus slowing the game down.

That’s a directive from The English Premier League only, intended to remove the advantage the home side gets from ballboys acting under instruction and avoid conflicts that we’ve seen recently.

It won’t be in operation tonight.

It’s not a change to the laws of the game, which this trial will hopefully lead to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.