Relatively Obscure People Who’ve Led Amazing Lives

Is Woosnam obscure Or just forgotten? He would not have been obscure during his sporting zenith, winning titles and Olympic medals. And, of course, playing for City would make him immortal.

Is Woosnam obscure Or just forgotten? He would not have been obscure during his sporting zenith, winning titles and Olympic medals. And, of course, playing for City would make him immortal.
It’s a really worthwhile point. I suppose the guy whose link I put in the OP was well known at the time too, but perhaps because he didn’t directly impact on history, he became relatively obscure, despite leading an incredible life. Hence why I put “Relatively” in the title - to give some wriggle room!

Watching a documentary on yesterday on how sport influenced the 1st world war(think its was french and dubbed into English). Talked about Georges Carpentier, son of a coal miner who became a world champ in boxing at out break of war joined french airforce and won several medals for bravery. After war returned to boxing and was beaten by Jack Dempsey in front of 120,000 people. Retired and became an actor doing song and Dance act in theatres and appearing in several films. Probably not obscure to most boxing fans but I’d never heard of him.

Eric Winkle Brown, you couldn’t make his story up

Freddie Chapman ‘the jungle Soldier’ google him, amazing man who I only found a few years back was my dads headmaster in Germany

It’s a really worthwhile point. I suppose the guy whose link I put in the OP was well known at the time too, but perhaps because he didn’t directly impact on history, he became relatively obscure, despite leading an incredible life. Hence why I put “Relatively” in the title - to give some wriggle room!
Perhaps the impact on history is important for obscurity or immortality. Woosnam, of course impacted City's history, but maybe not beyond die hard blues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.