Religion

This takes me back to my juvenile schooling. I innocently asked the RE teacher if Jesus was from Yorkshire. The teacher looked blank and asked me why I thought he was. I said it's because of all the thee's thy's and thou's in the bible. Even today in parts of the West Riding they still talk like that. Needless to say I got a black mark for my question.
I had my Record of Achievement out recently after sorting things out after decorating and I was looking at the lengthy positive comments from every teacher, that was, apart from my RE teacher.

He simply wrote, ‘[Psychedelic Casual] was always willing to voice his opinion during his RE lessons’… it wasn’t a positive comment!

To put that in to context, even modern day census records often aren't accurate, and that's with a largely literate population.

The bible is largely written by men (who, let's face it are known to exaggerate and embellish) over a period of around 1500 years. It is also cherry picked as to what is to be taken literally, and what its meanings are to be inferred as by people who have a vested interest (the Church and historically the State), who have certainly used it to wield power and enhance wealth.

I can't argue too much with it as a morale code or framework, but there are still plenty of contradictions and anomalies with that construct. It certainly can't be considered the fair reflection of history that many claim it to be.
Basically, the putting together of the bible from all the different versions of things to the accepted truth of it now, and the disregard of the rest and whatever context they may offer to the times, sounds a little like the putting together of all the millions of hacked emails etc. being condensed and spliced into 7 emails that suit the narrative….
In Der Spiegel.

It’s all true, you know?
Gospel.

12 in Religion:

The number twelve carries religious, mythological and magical symbolism, generally representing perfection, entirety, or cosmic order in traditions since antiquity.

Ancient Greek religion​

Judaism and Christianity​

• The significance is especially pronounced in the Hebrew Bible.
Ishmael - the first-born son of Abraham - has 12 sons/princes (Genesis 25:16), and Jacob also has 12 sons, who are the progenitors of the Twelve Tribes of Israel. This is reflected in Christian tradition, notably in the twelve Apostles. When Judas Iscariot is disgraced, a meeting is held (Acts) to add Saint Matthias to complete the number twelve once more. The Book of Revelation contains much numerical symbolism, and many of the numbers mentioned have 12 as a divisor. 12:1 mentions a woman—interpreted as the people of Israel, the Church and the Virgin Mary—wearing a crown of twelve stars (representing each of the twelve tribes of Israel). Furthermore, there are 12,000 people sealed from each of the twelve tribes of Israel (the Tribe of Dan is omitted while Manasseh is mentioned), making a total of 144,000 (which is the square of 12 multiplied by a thousand).

Hinduism​

• There are twelve Jyotirlinga (Self-formed Lingas) of Lord Shiva in Hindu temples across India according to the Shaiva tradition.
  • The Sun god Surya has 12 names.
  • The Monkey god Hanuman has 12 names.
  • There are 12 Petals in Anahata or "heart chakra".
  • There are frequently said to be 12 Âdityas.

Others​

• The chief Norse god, Odin, has twelve sons.
  • In the King Arthur legend, Arthur is said to subdue 12 rebel princes and to win 12 great battles against Saxon invaders.
  • In Twelver Shi'a Islam, there are twelve Imams, legitimate successors of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad. These twelve early leaders of Islam are—Ali, Hasan, Husayn, and nine of Husayn's descendants. Sura 12 in the Quran is sura Yusuf, narrating the story of the sons of Jacob.
  • The tribe who Muslims claim their lineage to Abraham came from were the Ishmaelites. Ishmael was Abraham’s first son who he sent off with his mistress into the desert and they headed South to Arabia. Ishmael is said to have had 12 sons.

Why 12?

Through a calendar year from one Winter Solstice to the next, there are 12 constellations:

There are also 12 Moon phases in a year:

In the ancient world, 12 was also used in counting on your fingers.

View attachment 75016

One finger wasn’t one like we use today, it was three. They counted by using their thumb as a pointer and counted the sections of each finger.

The reason there are 12 Olympians, 12 Apostles, 12 points on the Anahata, 12 months in a year, 12 hours in a meridiem, 12 pennies in a shilling etc. are all because of celestial and physical natural occurrences.
Do they have 15 apostles in Stoke?

Ok. Yeshua Ben Yoseph

There’s no J in the Welsh language either and they are all called Jones. Maybe they are a lost tribe of Israel. Hmmm
You could be onto something as the similarities don't end with (or without) the letter J.
The Jewish faith makes much of the three fathers; Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and the Welsh sing land of my Fathers.
Also, there is a blessing made over bread at major meals in the Jewish faith and the Welsh sing about Bread of Heaven.
Finally, and this could be the clincher: Jonah sang when he was in the belly of the big fish and everybody sings in W(h)ales.

12 in Religion:

The number twelve carries religious, mythological and magical symbolism, generally representing perfection, entirety, or cosmic order in traditions since antiquity.

Ancient Greek religion​

Judaism and Christianity​

• The significance is especially pronounced in the Hebrew Bible.
Ishmael - the first-born son of Abraham - has 12 sons/princes (Genesis 25:16), and Jacob also has 12 sons, who are the progenitors of the Twelve Tribes of Israel. This is reflected in Christian tradition, notably in the twelve Apostles. When Judas Iscariot is disgraced, a meeting is held (Acts) to add Saint Matthias to complete the number twelve once more. The Book of Revelation contains much numerical symbolism, and many of the numbers mentioned have 12 as a divisor. 12:1 mentions a woman—interpreted as the people of Israel, the Church and the Virgin Mary—wearing a crown of twelve stars (representing each of the twelve tribes of Israel). Furthermore, there are 12,000 people sealed from each of the twelve tribes of Israel (the Tribe of Dan is omitted while Manasseh is mentioned), making a total of 144,000 (which is the square of 12 multiplied by a thousand).

Hinduism​

• There are twelve Jyotirlinga (Self-formed Lingas) of Lord Shiva in Hindu temples across India according to the Shaiva tradition.
  • The Sun god Surya has 12 names.
  • The Monkey god Hanuman has 12 names.
  • There are 12 Petals in Anahata or "heart chakra".
  • There are frequently said to be 12 Âdityas.

Others​

• The chief Norse god, Odin, has twelve sons.
  • In the King Arthur legend, Arthur is said to subdue 12 rebel princes and to win 12 great battles against Saxon invaders.
  • In Twelver Shi'a Islam, there are twelve Imams, legitimate successors of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad. These twelve early leaders of Islam are—Ali, Hasan, Husayn, and nine of Husayn's descendants. Sura 12 in the Quran is sura Yusuf, narrating the story of the sons of Jacob.
  • The tribe who Muslims claim their lineage to Abraham came from were the Ishmaelites. Ishmael was Abraham’s first son who he sent off with his mistress into the desert and they headed South to Arabia. Ishmael is said to have had 12 sons.

Why 12?

Through a calendar year from one Winter Solstice to the next, there are 12 constellations:

There are also 12 Moon phases in a year:

In the ancient world, 12 was also used in counting on your fingers.

View attachment 75016

One finger wasn’t one like we use today, it was three. They counted by using their thumb as a pointer and counted the sections of each finger.

The reason there are 12 Olympians, 12 Apostles, 12 points on the Anahata, 12 months in a year, 12 hours in a meridiem, 12 pennies in a shilling etc. are all because of celestial and physical natural occurrences.
Yes, I was aware but good post to let others see.

You could be onto something as the similarities don't end with (or without) the letter J.
The Jewish faith makes much of the three fathers; Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and the Welsh sing land of my Fathers.
Also, there is a blessing made over bread at major meals in the Jewish faith and the Welsh sing about Bread of Heaven.
Finally, and this could be the clincher: Jonah sang when he was in the belly of the big fish and everybody sings in W(h)ales.
Did Jonah fuck sheep though?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.