Retiring abroad

Went to NZ for the first time a couple of years ago. Stunning country and a place I want to explore more when I am retired.
Try it my friend you won't be disappointed.... I thought I'd return to the uk eventually after living overseas and many countries... but this is seriously a slice of heaven... decided to live here perm late in life .. but no regrets.... even bottle feeding lambs on the hour all day long.

Think 3 months abroad is just enough. My plan is to spend Jan and Feb aboard in a couple of years and 10 months over here with a couple of weeks away in the summer. 2 x 1 week. Think will rent in a different place each winter. See more that way. Kids getting out of my hair soon so going to start winding down a bit.
We normally do a month in Thailand mid Feb to mid March then we did April-June in Spain. Ana autumn trip to the carribean then shortened the autumn. But last year, Spain got cancelled so we had to wait for Cyprus where we finished up doing 6 weeks even though we only planned 2. I have to say Summer goes alot further there than,say, Spain. I was still in the sea in mid November. Renting is definitely the way to go unless you're absolutely certain you want to live abroad.

Bought an old run down finca 20 years ago. I have spent parts of the Winter and lots of cash renovating.
The plan was to spend Winter there and Summer here. With covid and brexit, doubt if that will happen soon.
Have learnt Spanish, travelled throughout the beautiful country, and met many like minded people. So although my plan will not be realised I have no regrets.

Went to NZ for the first time a couple of years ago. Stunning country and a place I want to explore more when I am retired.

No chance of retirement there unless you have pots of money. If I remember correctly you need £500k to invest, then another £250k in your bank and the have an income of £30k+. They no longer allow you to join relations.

I’ve never understood the impulse to voluntarily leave your family, friends and home behind for some Shangri-La in the sun.

I cringe looking at couples on these house-hunting programmes debating the merits of a walk on the beach in the morning, or being close to their grandchildren.

No matter how beautiful the environment you live in, surely being close to your loved ones is a source of much greater happiness and fulfilment!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.