Retiring

Can anyone clarify, I am going to get the 35 years of NI contributions in easily, i only need another year and have another 15 years to go. i opted out of Serps many years ago. would i get the full £172 state pension, or would it reduce as i opted out?

View attachment 8785

I might add, you have to love the public sector. 23% + 9% ???? The best I have EVER had in the private sector was 6 + 3. Currently I get a maximum 4% from my employer so long as I put in 5%.
Great isn't it, long may it continue for me and my wife

I am 50 now and have been paying in since I was 18.

I really need some help understanding it all as never looked at it whilst just living.

Perhaps you can give me some assistance

the pension, including the one they introduced in 2015, is superb compared to any private pension.
It is, I think you would need a pot of around 160 - 200k to buy an annuity of around 9k pa dependent on health and age.

Edit
Just checked on Aviva, a healthy 62 year old would need 200k to buy a 8k pa annuity, with high cholesterol and high blood pressure it goes up to 9k. Increases if the annuity is delayed but just confirms SF point the state pension is really pretty good despite all the criticism.

Last edited:
Can anyone clarify, I am going to get the 35 years of NI contributions in easily, i only need another year and have another 15 years to go. i opted out of Serps many years ago. would i get the full £172 state pension, or would it reduce as i opted out?
I check mine and tax codes and file tax returns through the on line account. Try this https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

It is, I think you would need a pot of around 160 - 200k to buy an annuity of around 9k pa dependent on health and age.

Edit
Just checked on Aviva, a healthy 62 year old would need 200k to buy a 8k pa annuity, with high cholesterol and high blood pressure it goes up to 9k. Increases if the annuity is delayed but just confirms SF point the state pension is really pretty good despite all the criticism.
Sorry mate, you have us at cross wires.
The person I answered was in the same public service job as me and I think his question was about that particular pension and not the state pension. So his public service pension is often referred to as ‘golden’.

Sorry mate, you have us at cross wires.
The person I answered was in the same public service job as me and I think his question was about that particular pension and not the state pension. So his public service pension is often referred to as ‘golden’.
Ah ok, I know you get decent pensions, I was obviously just comparing my state pension with my private one that I can purchase an annuity or draw down. I'll be doing the latter as I would need to get to about 83 for the former to be financially effective. The state pension will form about 40% of my yearly income so very important to me, cheers.

I would expect you get the lower rate
I worked for about 45 years but as the NHS opted out of SERPS I only get £599 per month .Best bet is to give them a bell as the online calculator seems to forecast everyone at the same rate good luck

Ah ok, I know you get decent pensions, I was obviously just comparing my state pension with my private one that I can purchase an annuity or draw down. I'll be doing the latter as I would need to get to about 83 for the former to be financially effective. The state pension will form about 40% of my yearly income so very important to me, cheers.
Before packing in my former role (main job for thirty odd years) I kept a record of everything I spent in 12 months. I then deducted the things I wouldn’t be spending in retirement such as the £450 a month in petrol to drive to work, mortgage, kids at university etc
From that I could work out how much a month I would need to carry on in the same lifestyle as I didn’t want to give up on the things we were used to. Then factored the pension accordingly with some left over for emergencies.
We also downsized, although not as much as I wanted as the wife spent a fortune on doing the new house up!

I would expect you get the lower rate
I worked for about 45 years but as the NHS opted out of SERPS I only get £599 per month .Best bet is to give them a bell as the online calculator seems to forecast everyone at the same rate good luck
Shit, I need to look into this then.

On the plus side if it is the lower rate then at least I am finding out at 52 and i have time to put things in place, i suspect there will be a lot of people who get to retirement age and get a nasty surprise.

Shit, I need to look into this then.

On the plus side if it is the lower rate then at least I am finding out at 52 and i have time to put things in place, i suspect there will be a lot of people who get to retirement age and get a nasty surprise.
Yes I certainly got a nasty surprise as I was expecting the full wack
If you decide to top your pension up really look into it as ,some have said on here they would have to live to 80 plus for it to be worthwhile.
I am no expert just stating what happened to me .Good Luck

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.