Retiring

I'd ask yourself whether you honestly want to become a landlord.

I've asked myself that question previously and thought:

- the property industry seems to be chasing landlords out through taxes and better rights for tenants (Is it really a safe bet for the future?).

- Could I really be arsed being on the end of the phone at any hour to angry tenants?

- Are the tax implications worth it? You either pay tax on it personally or have to set up a limited company which comes with accounting costs and the like.

I'm sure there's still plenty of money to be made (especially if you do it at scale and build a large portfolio), but I'm not sure it's worth all the hassle. My view on becoming a Landlord is that you're buying yourself a job. It might be a very well paying job in some cases, but more often than not I think it's a lot of work, with more stress, for less money than what people think.

If I were you I'd chuck any spare money in your ISA until you hit the annual limit, then have a bit more of a think at that point.

I appreciate some people have sound investments in property and it is a smart way to make money. But there can be a downsize. I had a small 2 bed terrace that I let out a few years ago in Reddish. The whole thing was a nightmare. Even though I let it through a a well known property company the tenant didn’t pay for months, refused to leave and pretty much trashed the place. I ended up going to court after about 6 months and losses of £3500. I didn’t have much spare cash at the time so it was very stressful. I sold the house as soon as they left and made small amount of money. Wish I had kept it as it’s worth a lot more but I simply didn’t have the cash or energy to do the place up after the previous tenants left. Never again.

Just to throw cat amongst the pigeons - has anybody any views/experience on the current spate of 'lifetime mortgages or equity release schemes' as a way of funding retirement.

It seems to me the major downside is the possibilitiy that offspring won't be getting full inheritance but my kids seem to be doing better than me anyway, so in 25 years time (hopefully!!!) it won't matter to them so much

Or are such products going to be the future 'PPI' scandal?
It was mentioned earlier in the thread and seems a fair way of raising capital

Lifetime mortgage simplified
If you borrow 50k against your house , you pay interest on that amount every month for life.
When you die, the 50k is repaid from the sale. The lender has made money from interest payments

I think equity release is when you sell a percentage of your home and when the house is sold, the equity release company is entitled to that percentage of the sale.
They make their money on an initial low valuation of the property (eg house is worth 340k they value at 300k. They take a 25% stake at 75k instead of the true value of 85k) and then the house increasing in value over time

Yes, when I first read about the subject it blew my mind. I think we're hard-wired to consider 'all debt is bad' and that one of your major financial milestones is to become mortgage-free.

I can completely understand people wanting their house paid off, but there are so many better (in my opinion) arguments against it.

If you offered most people an option of owning a house worth £500k or having £500k invested in index funds whilst living in a house with a £500k mortgage, people tend to go for the former. But when you tell people that they should expect to earn around £35k pa from the later option, they start to change their tune! :P
You're viewing it at the end of the savings plan though. That £500k house on a 25yr 90% LTV mortgage attracts interest of £13k pa but if the saver was to put the mortgage payments of £2000 pm into such funds that would gain just £1700 max in year 1. So they need to first get that mortgage down to nearer 60% to avail the best rates (60% mortgage would currently reduce payments to £14k from £24k, interest would be nearer £5k pa).

Obviously it's different if you suddenly have £500k to spend/invest, but then if the housing market crashes and you have a £400k house on a £450k (90% LTV) mortgage, perhaps not so good.

Just to throw cat amongst the pigeons - has anybody any views/experience on the current spate of 'lifetime mortgages or equity release schemes' as a way of funding retirement.

It seems to me the major downside is the possibilitiy that offspring won't be getting full inheritance but my kids seem to be doing better than me anyway, so in 25 years time (hopefully!!!) it won't matter to them so much

Or are such products going to be the future 'PPI' scandal?
A lifetime interest only mortgage was the best thing my mother in law ever did.
She had to downsize in the 90s housing crash and could not afford a capital repayment mortgage but an interest only lifetime mortgage allowed her to buy a bungalow in Poynton. She lived in absolute security knowing she could afford the repayments and when she died her two daughters still got over £100K each after the capital sum was repaid.

You're viewing it at the end of the savings plan though. That £500k house on a 25yr 90% LTV mortgage attracts interest of £13k pa but if the saver was to put the mortgage payments of £2000 pm into such funds that would gain just £1700 max in year 1. So they need to first get that mortgage down to nearer 60% to avail the best rates (60% mortgage would currently reduce payments to £14k from £24k, interest would be nearer £5k pa).

Obviously it's different if you suddenly have £500k to spend/invest, but then if the housing market crashes and you have a £400k house on a £450k (90% LTV) mortgage, perhaps not so good.

I get your point, but mathematically (depending on interest rates your mortgage provider offers) it would still make sense to invest in an Index fund (presuming you trust the research behind that 7% figure) over paying down the mortgage no matter what the LTV is.

Basically, any interest rate on your mortgage lower than 7% gets beaten by the historical average in the stock market.

Presume you bought a house at £100k with a 90% LTV and an interest rate of 4% (which is purposefully high) and after paying your regular mortgage payments you had £1,000 to invest. Paying down the mortgage would save you £40, whereas investing it into the stock market would earn you £70. That £30 difference will also snowball at a higher rate if invested so the real loss would be somewhat higher.

It might attract better rates and be less risky, but mathematically, investing in a sensible index fund would earn more in the long term.

(again, I'm talking purely mathematically. I personally have an LTV well below 90% on my property as the value of my house has risen since I bought it - so I naturally get better rates now which makes the equation more straightforward for my personal circumstances).

Quick question: people often talk about wanting a pension of 2/3 final salary. Are they referring to 2/3 of final gross salary or 2/3 final take-home pay?
I know everybody has different requirements in retirement and both, one or neither might be suitable but which are they usually referring to?

Quick question: people often talk about wanting a pension of 2/3 final salary. Are they referring to 2/3 of final gross salary or 2/3 final take-home pay?
I know everybody has different requirements in retirement and both, one or neither might be suitable but which are they usually referring to?
Gross salary for me I get 2/3rds

Gross salary for me I get 2/3rds
Where as I'd say net if you're not renting

In general, people lose 25ish percent of their gross salary in tax and NIC contributions and then there are all the saving policies (mortgage, pension etc) to deduct.
So if you're a home owner then two thirds of your net salary SHOULD leave you comfortable

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.