Retiring

Sounds perfect matey

I was furloughed for three months and didn't miss work at all and in three months, I hardly watched any daytime tv and only watched two films during the day
I used to do 80 hour weeks, would average about 50k miles a year and my job had its stress factor, people on here know what it was, going out for a bit of lunch with friends, ex employees, people off here is always fun. Apart from @dronefromsector7G he’s just a **** :-)

I used to do 80 hour weeks, would average about 50k miles a year and my job had its stress factor, people on here know what it was, going out for a bit of lunch with friends, ex employees, people off here is always fun. Apart from @dronefromsector7G he’s just a **** :-)
Did he touch you?

any advice about planning for retirement. Realistically how much would be good to have behind you. I’m only 43 so wouldn’t be for a few years yet but was thinking about an out plan. Cheers
I used to work in IT. Bought as much company shares as I could. I was made redundant, and went into Support Work - Pays less, less stress, less hours. We earn enough to just about survive and tbh it has given us the fizz back into our lives. It's nice having a little struggle but backed up by some money just in case.

Keep working is the thing I have learnt. Seen people retire and then they miss the framework around their lives such as keeping fit from work, regular pattern to life, regular diet etc - These things become important later in life.

Totally agree with that. My FIL is in this boat. Retired 12 years ago and basically for 12 years has woken up, got dressed, had breakfast, walked to the shop, read the paper, had lunch, watched the news at 1pm, watched a load of programmes like Escape to the Country, gone for a 30 min walk, had tea, watched the news again at 6, bit of TV, watch the 10pm news, bed x 364 days a year for 12 years. he deviates from that routine once a week when he goes shopping with the MIL as she can’t drive and maybe once a month when they visit someone. He looked a young 60 when he retired. He now looks 80.

That doesn’t appeal to me.
That’s because your FIL is a stupid **** with no aspiration!
Hope that doesn’t offend.
Retired from full time work six years ago so I could watch City in Europe and go on more ski holidays.
Now fully retired and should have done a four month tour of Europe in April until COVID happened.
Nevertheless currently in Tintagel with a bike ride to Boscastle tomorrow, with a pasty for lunch and fish & chips for tea on return. Then off to Newquay, St Ives, Looe, Brixham and Torquay over the next 17 days.
Get out and about and try new things.
Trip booked to the next solar eclipse provided flights still going!

retire and live, don’t die in front of the fucking cathode ray tube

Retired from full time work six years ago so I could watch City in Europe and go on more ski holidays.
Now fully retired and should have done a four month tour of Europe until COVID happened.
Nevertheless currently in Tintagel with a bike ride to Boscastle and then off to Newquay, St Ives, Looe, Brixham and Torquay over the next 17 days.

This is why I think dogs are a good idea for retired folk - get you out of bed, and up off your arse out the house and walking a couple of times a day at least. They'd be a pain in the arse if you wanted to do a 17 day bike ride, go skiing or follow city round Europe though.

Now fully retired and should have done a four month tour of Europe in April until COVID happened.
Nevertheless currently in Tintagel with a bike ride to Boscastle tomorrow, with a pasty for lunch and fish & chips for tea on return. Then off to Newquay, St Ives, Looe, Brixham and Torquay over the next 17 days.

It’s a balancing act with me, how much can I do until my health kicks in and fucks me up, I just do what I can when I can then except the consistency

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.