Return of Supporters

You’re bang on there. It would, just like many of the changes they’ve made to game over recent years, open the door for a world of shite. The game has been getting away from fans for a while now.
Remember being at the QPR game, the first monday night Sky game thinking wtf has happened to football. TV has brought the best players to our shores for which we should be grateful but the matchday experience is stuck in 1974.

Irrespective of their original purpose, my Nightingale point is about separation of concern not demand. Remove Covid treatment from the normal hospital environment.
I still argue these stats don't back up the under pressure assertion

You can get monthly stats from the NHS website tracking Ventilator beds and how many of those are Covid related. Take a look at the difference between August and September stats and, well, there wasn't any....

I salute every single NHS worker for their dedication. No doubt the risk is still there for those with underlying health conditions but for the vast majority getting Covid doesnt mean anything.

Take schools for example, teachers are in a bubble of more than 100 and that's ignoring secondary relationships I.e the families of each child.
If a student gets Covid the entire class, often year, is being sent home to self isolate. So they do that, come back 2weeks later, someone else gets it, Rinse and Repeat. When is it ever going to end if that's how we deal with it?

Not allowed to meet any of my extended family yet we can all go the pub, go grouse shooting and the PL wants us to squeeze back onto the 3rd tier of the SS whilst maintaining social distancing?

Either enforce a common policy across all walks of life or dont bother. The current situation and conflicting implementation of rules is just a waste of time.

Irrespective of their original purpose, my Nightingale point is about separation of concern not demand. Remove Covid treatment from the normal hospital environment.
I still argue these stats don't back up the under pressure assertion

I don't to derail the thread as this is about fans returning - and our conversation probably belongs in the off-topic thead on COVID to be fair. But even with the stats for yesterday an extra 1000 people in hospital and roughly 10% on Ventilators is 1000 people that were not in hospital this time last year and that's putting severe pressure on overworked staff.

I recall doctors/nurses coming out of retirement, people working longer hours, the army lending support. It was all hands on deck.

Back to topic - would love fans to return but it's not even about the stadium environment. ANY clubs fans will use local buses, trains, share cars, coaches & cabs and catch flights given half the chance. Then there are pubs/cafes/concourses/chippys/restuarants/shops/supermarkets/social clubs and the members of the public they also come into close proximatey with. - this is then repeated on the return journey and back to home. So say in one house, a City and United fan live in Alty. Both are season card holders and alternate travelling to each home ground each week. Nightmare, especially when you take into account their work routine too. Until decent track and trace or vaccine, I cannot see that happening nor can I see the spread of the virus not escalating so quickly it has really bad consequences.

Just been watching the kids snatch defeat from the jaws of a draw and if that game was behind closed doors then I'm Sun Jihai's twin. No tickets will have been bought but there's folk not socially distancing standing on some balcony, and there seems to be way more than would be attached to the two teams.

I don't to derail the thread as this is about fans returning - and our conversation probably belongs in the off-topic thead on COVID to be fair. But even with the stats for yesterday an extra 1000 people in hospital and roughly 10% on Ventilators is 1000 people that were not in hospital this time last year and that's putting severe pressure on overworked staff.

I recall doctors/nurses coming out of retirement, people working longer hours, the army lending support. It was all hands on deck.

Back to topic - would love fans to return but it's not even about the stadium environment. ANY clubs fans will use local buses, trains, share cars, coaches & cabs and catch flights given half the chance. Then there are pubs/cafes/concourses/chippys/restuarants/shops/supermarkets/social clubs and the members of the public they also come into close proximatey with. - this is then repeated on the return journey and back to home. So say in one house, a City and United fan live in Alty. Both are season card holders and alternate travelling to each home ground each week. Nightmare, especially when you take into account their work routine too. Until decent track and trace or vaccine, I cannot see that happening nor can I see the spread of the virus not escalating so quickly it has really bad consequences.

Can you imagine social distancing in Mary D’s before the game ?

The bar staff in the ground, who all happen to be University students.

it’s not going to happen for a while in the numbers that will make it a worthwhile experience. Sitting with 12000 people in a stadium that holds 55000 with a mask on with no singing and shouting. Where is the fun in that?

I am all for a live game over TV but this is a situation where TV, a nice drink and no hassle wins the day.

Can you imagine social distancing in Mary D’s before the game ?

The bar staff in the ground, who all happen to be University students.

it’s not going to happen for a while in the numbers that will make it a worthwhile experience. Sitting with 12000 people in a stadium that holds 55000 with a mask on with no singing and shouting. Where is the fun in that?

I am all for a live game over TV but this is a situation where TV, a nice drink and no hassle wins the day.

Our local paper today ran an article on Carlisle's home game tomorrow. It's one of the experimental "let fans in'" matches. They're allowing 1,000 fans into Brunton Park, all socially distanced of course. That's pretty much comparable to 5,000 in the Etihad. In addition to all the other restrictions the article detailed, it begs the question as to why anyone would bother. TBH until we can all get together again to watch City in an uninhibited manner then this sterile situation is not for me. I'm with you on the settee.

Our local paper today ran an article on Carlisle's home game tomorrow. It's one of the experimental "let fans in'" matches. They're allowing 1,000 fans into Brunton Park, all socially distanced of course. That's pretty much comparable to 5,000 in the Etihad. In addition to all the other restrictions the article detailed, it begs the question as to why anyone would bother. TBH until we can all get together again to watch City in an uninhibited manner then this sterile situation is not for me. I'm with you on the settee.

Bring some cans and a few bags of crisps and it’s a date!

You can get monthly stats from the NHS website tracking Ventilator beds and how many of those are Covid related. Take a look at the difference between August and September stats and, well, there wasn't any....

I salute every single NHS worker for their dedication. No doubt the risk is still there for those with underlying health conditions but for the vast majority getting Covid doesnt mean anything.

Take schools for example, teachers are in a bubble of more than 100 and that's ignoring secondary relationships I.e the families of each child.
If a student gets Covid the entire class, often year, is being sent home to self isolate. So they do that, come back 2weeks later, someone else gets it, Rinse and Repeat. When is it ever going to end if that's how we deal with it?

Not allowed to meet any of my extended family yet we can all go the pub, go grouse shooting and the PL wants us to squeeze back onto the 3rd tier of the SS whilst maintaining social distancing?

Either enforce a common policy across all walks of life or dont bother. The current situation and conflicting implementation of rules is just a waste of time.

It's a good post, but I do have to question the assumption that ventilator beds equate to Covid. You can't assume that. People end up on ventilators from pneumonia and flu too as well as other conditions.

My fear is that we are adopting all these measures (that are grotesquely expensive and storing up enormous health problems for years with its massive impact on everyone but especially the vulnerable (alzheimers, stress, depression, cancer, delayed operations etc)), for a problem that isn't actually any worse for the majority of the population than pneumonia or the flu. I admit to being strongly opposed to lockdowns, yet I can also see some justification for initially preferring this route (despite grotesque expense) because we didn't know enough about the virus at the time.

In my opinion if just one political party had strongly opposed the lockdown we wouldn't have taken such drastic steps. The government bottled it, the other political parties bottled it and nobody still wants to take responsibility. When we start paying for all this madness there is going to be one hell of a reckoning.

It's a good post, but I do have to question the assumption that ventilator beds equate to Covid. You can't assume that. People end up on ventilators from pneumonia and flu too as well as other conditions.

My fear is that we are adopting all these measures (that are grotesquely expensive and storing up enormous health problems for years with its massive impact on everyone but especially the vulnerable (alzheimers, stress, depression, cancer, delayed operations etc)), for a problem that isn't actually any worse for the majority of the population than pneumonia or the flu. I admit to being strongly opposed to lockdowns, yet I can also see some justification for initially preferring this route (despite grotesque expense) because we didn't know enough about the virus at the time.

In my opinion if just one political party had strongly opposed the lockdown we wouldn't have taken such drastic steps. The government bottled it, the other political parties bottled it and nobody still wants to take responsibility. When we start paying for all this madness there is going to be one hell of a reckoning.

You misinterpreted. The stats specifically detail how many of the ventilator beds are ascribed to covid patients. For August vs September the number is virtually the same:

In England:
August 599 covid beds, 56 covid ventilators
September 468 covid beds, 58 covid ventilators

The stats are published in the first part of the month.
It will be interesting to see what the October stats say when published in a few weeks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.