Returning to Maine Road

We knew that as "dogshit alley"
haha every alley was dog shit alley,loved maine road,a home from home,from sitting on a wall as a youngster to moving to the back next to the away fans as a teenager,then into the main stand , sitting on my own in the north stand 10-1 hudders,watched from all over maine road,i even took a girl on a first date to see Justin fashinu(sp) when he first came to city in a reserve match hahaha,we didn't last long together :)

Grew up in the immediate vicinity of Maine Rd and the Parkside pub. All the streets had alleyways behind them and they were all our playgrounds. The houses on Broadfield Rd with that ginnel between them that was so narrow we could stick our legs and hands on both walls and shimmy up as high as we dared. Used to build dens in our back garden and on Saturdays I'd marvel at the noise of the crowd, it really was that noisy and less traffic noise to drown it out. I'd watch the incredible hulk on telly eating royal Scot biscuits and if I was lucky my older brother would let me stay up and listen to Radio Luxembourg with him or while he used the C.B
I know I've gone off topic a bit haha, fuckin loved Maine Rd and growing up around there

I've not been near the place since the Southampton game, I'd probably get too emotional! First visit was as an excited nipper in 1964 for the Youth Cup semi-final against the rags, and for some reason I always found night matches at Maine Rd a bit more appealing under those very tall floodlights ;-) , especially those European ties in the late 60s and 70s. So many great memories too, the ballet on ice, the 5-1, 10-1, promotions, Neville feeding the Goat, Bell's comeback match to name a few. The old place may have looked a bit ramshackle at times but it was our home and I loved it.

Fair point, will never forget the excitement of seeing the north stand on my first walk up with my uncle and picking up a pink from the lorry that churned them out with the scores freshly typed.!

In the film Fever Pitch theres a bit early on where he goes to Arsenal for the first time as a kid with his Dad and knows thats where he will spend most of the rest of his life,the scale of crowds of people etc.

Thats how I felt (not when I first went as my Dad says I was less than 12 months old) when I was old enough to appreciate it.

The Osbourne pub where I went pre match in later years is now a Mosque.

Anyone know the last player to leave city who had played at MR?
I remember watching Ned Onuha at a youth semi or final at MR. I think. Or could it have been SWP who’s shirt looked far too big for him when he played at MR?

i remember seeing Colin Bell a few times on his own running around the streets on his rehab after injury, he was out most mornings on his own, people used to shout 'wont be long now Colin' unfortunately we know the rest,,He put loads of work into getting back such a shame for the guy

I used to live in Fallowfield as a kid and walked to Maine Road.
Approaching the Kippax turnstiles, I went down a gap between the houses called (appropriately, in view of the dog-shit lying about) "No.2 Passage"
Anyone remember it?
Always use the No.1 passage

I remember parking up in little streets off Dickenson Road like Moon Grove and then walking to the ground with my Dad with the floodlights looming large.

Maine Rd felt much mote intimate, but I don't know if that was just the wonder of a kid, or because the setting is so different. The stadia belonged to different eras. At Maine Rd the ground was hemmed in by tight terraced housing, but the Etihad is in a huge open zone. They really feel very different. You had to walk past houses, shops and schools, but at the Etihad it's major roads, bridges and car showrooms.

I often travel by bus past Platt Lane, Dickenson Rd, or down Princess Parkway and it doesn't take much to remind me of the past. When I think of City, I'll always think of dear old Maine Rd, the best friend I ever had.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.