Returning to Maine Road

After all the talk of VAR(yawn) I thought I'd offer a little distraction and bump this thread.

Just found these clips on YouTube. I haven't seen either of before and thought I'd put them on here to to share and evoke memories.

I've only been to the site where Maine Road stood once since being demolished and it was an emotional experience. Get a tissue ready as it's a bit sad in parts: (

We can never return there, but for many blues, Maine Road is forever etched in our mind and heart. It was a place of dreams and broken dreams, and a special place in our past and proud history.(for any newbie blues reading)

I loved Maine Road.

You'll never take the Kippax

But they did. Alas.

After all the talk of VAR(yawn) I thought I'd offer a little distraction and bump this thread.

Just found these clips on YouTube. I haven't seen either of before and thought I'd put them on here to to share and evoke memories.

I've only been to the site where Maine Road stood once since being demolished and it was an emotional experience. Get a tissue ready as it's a bit sad in parts: (

We can never return there, but for many blues, Maine Road is forever etched in our mind and heart. It was a place of dreams and broken dreams, and a special place in our past and proud history.(for any newbie blues reading)

I loved Maine Road.

But they did. Alas.

Not for me, not watching them my memories of MR from 1970 are locked deep in my mind.

A bit like the hot actress from your youth, it's best to remember not look at how they turned out.

One of the worst things I ever did was borrow a book, can't remember what it was called but was full of pictures of MR being demolished in glorious colour.

Fucking horrendous.

Anyone living round the ground which I did will remember the new floodlights going up.
Rumour was we sold Dave Wagstaffe to Wolves to pay for them.
Compared to the old ones they were like Blackpool Tower.
I could see them from our back yard and used to out ever day to see if they had got any bigger.
Remember the first night game with the new lights I was sat in the platt lane 64 v Leyton Orient won 6-0 2nd division match,I looked up at the lights and I had white spots in my eyes for 5 minutes Lol.

My early memories of MR are being in the scoreboard end in the early 60s with no segregation of fans. I’d be in there on my own as a 7/8 year old whilst my Dad (who was booted out by my Mum not much later) went somewhere else (I’ve still no idea where). A bit later in the mid 60s I was in there for a derby match surrounded by United fans and I hit one on the head with my rattle.

Let's face it, towards the end Maine Road was a dump, whoever designed that god awful Kippax stand wanted shooting.

I went to my first match there in 1961, and the pies were shit then.

"Can I mind your car mister?"

"Fuck off and remember there's a Pit Bull in the back"

"Does he put out fires?

Far better where we are now, better car parking and transport links.

:D

I loved Maine Road.

But they did. Alas.

I don't think I've ever seen a less aesthetically put together stadium but it was great wasn't it.

XRYmpdHh.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.