Rhyl/Abergelle hollidays 1970s80s

stonerblue said:
Seven of us in a morris traveller down to Wales every fuckin year. Car would break down without fail and us kids would be sat in the pissing rain eating a cheese on toast (tres exotic) in the pissing fucking rain. Happy days.

did i mention the pissing rain?

You did once but I think you got away with it.

Have very fond memories of Rhyl & Towyn from the about 79 up till around 88. Black Cat amusements, Oldhams chippy, the fair, the beach all magical places back in the day.My Grandad from me mams side had a caravan there, as did my dads brother ( both got ruined by the floods ). I went back around 6 years ago with my lad on fathers day shortly after I split from his mam.
The place was a dump! Very heartbreaking - absolute ghost town : (

Used to go to my mates uncles caravan back in the eighties at the robin hood camp,had some great times and the weather was usually spot on,noel gallagher came with us a couple of times don't think he would now.

Rhyl like most British seaside holiday resorts is on it's arse, I should know I've lived in the area most of my life.
The combination of falling numbers of visitors and ever inceasing numbers of scroates taking up residence in the former bed and breakfasts are partly to blame, as are local politicians with vested interests.
I've had many a happy day growing up though, fighting scousers in Talacre and getting chucked out of Pontins by thugish security guards.
Ah happy days!

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
My mum's parents had a chalet at Llanddulas in the early 70's - right in between the A55 and the sea!
Every time I passed it over the years, I would always give it a glance over. It's caravans now, not chalets.
They had a jukebox in the social room, and I can always remember it was always playing ''Blame it on the pony express'' and each time I hear that song, reminds me of Llanddulas.

We'd always meet my dad's parents in Llandudno where they always stayed.

Always remember the drive home, we'd have to follow the coast then, via Towyn, Rhyl and Prestatyn. Happy days :)

We had a family holiday on that site in about 78, it rained nonstop for a week. The beach was just rocks.

Stayed on Robin Hood camp when i was about 16 with 2 girls, that was fun ;)

Had famiy hols in treadur bay on Angelsey/Holy island, campsite was on a old druid burial ground. Very freaky.

Mostly though i went Abersoch, stayed on the warren with family or on the beach with the lads.

Our family has had caravans in Towyn since we were kids been on Oldfield park, Winkups, Browns, Golden Gate and for the last few years on Abbeyfords.

We used to go down every Friday night returning on the Sunday - spent many a day at Kimnel bay playing football. Also enjoyed trips up the Great Orme at Llandudno, and going to the Welsh Mountain Zoo.

Nowadays its trips around Tir Prince market and a few beers in The Morton Arms or the Long Bar at Knightleys.

I remember a ride on Rhyl Pleasure Beach called 'The Rotor'. I twas basically a big hollow upright cylinder. You used to stand with your back to the wall and it started to spin round and as it picked up speed the floor would start to slip downwards and gravity would pin you to the wall - I used to love it - they got rid of it years ago - don't know why - it was a good ride.

There was the most rickety Mad Mouse there as well - it was frighteningly good with some shocking twists and turns but it was always breaking down and the operatives could quite often be seen crawling along the old frame on their hands and knees in a bid to rescue people that were stuck or give them a push.

sparky1 said:
Stayed at Shitvale or was it Sunnyvale camp site on the other side of the iron bridge in Rhyl in the late 70's as a 17 year old. Great nights in the Bierkeller in Rhyll. There was always a bit of lumber with the scousers. It always started out as a bit of good natured banter.
In the early 70's stayed at Prestatyn holiday camp facing the Robin Hood campsite.
Happy days but I wont be going back.

Sunnyvale camp, we used to go there for a week when I was a kid back in the 60's. It was great then but as a kid you did not know any better.
After a few years we went up market and stayed in a flat on Edward Henry street, happy days but what a shithole now.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
pauldominic said:
We had a week in Prestatyn when we were engaged and I dreamt of persuading her to spend a day at Rhyl Sun Centre so I could see her in a bikini or swimsuit.

Please do not adjust your computer settings.
Despite the above post,it really is 2012.

I've been hacking around with 5 computers this weekend and everything is fine.

She had a fantastic pink and white swimsuit in those days.

:p

Have you answered my question about Blackpool?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.