Richard Edghill

In reply to Pink Panther, you've got it so wrong! I played in the same game and on the same side as Edgy and you couldn't have wished to meet a nicer guy. Had time for everyone, spoke nothing but positives about the club from when he played until now.
The tackle you talk of during the game was typical of him, hard but fair. The opponent that day was a feisty little guy and on seeing Edgy coming in, he raised his feet off the ground trying to protect himself and caught Edgy around his knee, the same knee that has had various operations and stopped him playing. The top of his shin and knee bore the scars of the challenge and he was understandably pissed off as he now coaches for a living. He let the guy know how pissed off he was with a few expletives but to suggest he sulked for the rest of the game is utter bollocks. He could barely run but carried on, telling me that if the same guy came anywhere near us with the ball, "leave him to me". Thankfully the guy retreated into midfield, knowing what was best for him.
The Edgy you bad mouthed also helped stretcher off the injured player, stayed on the pitch for some pics after the game, had great banter in the dressing room after the game, thanked us all for playing but then had to leave early to pick up his kids.
I wonder how many of our current players would be so amenable and approachable?
Richard Edghill - he stepped up to the plate when it mattered so will always be a City legend - in my book anyway.

Edghill was a very good full-back but was ruined by a couple of managers pissing about with wing-backs (Frank Clarke mainly, if i recall). Would probably have been well-suited to playing as the right-sided CB, but as a right-wing back, was piss-poor going forward, as it just wasn't his game.
Watching the way that the crowd turned on him, and seeing him suffer as a result was really sad. He physically slumped, his head dropped and i've never seen a player want the ball less in my life.
Taking the pen at wembley must have taken a lot of bottle. Fair play to the lad.

Markb109 said:
In reply to Pink Panther, you've got it so wrong! I played in the same game and on the same side as Edgy and you couldn't have wished to meet a nicer guy. Had time for everyone, spoke nothing but positives about the club from when he played until now.
The tackle you talk of during the game was typical of him, hard but fair. The opponent that day was a feisty little guy and on seeing Edgy coming in, he raised his feet off the ground trying to protect himself and caught Edgy around his knee, the same knee that has had various operations and stopped him playing. The top of his shin and knee bore the scars of the challenge and he was understandably pissed off as he now coaches for a living. He let the guy know how pissed off he was with a few expletives but to suggest he sulked for the rest of the game is utter bollocks. He could barely run but carried on, telling me that if the same guy came anywhere near us with the ball, "leave him to me". Thankfully the guy retreated into midfield, knowing what was best for him.
The Edgy you bad mouthed also helped stretcher off the injured player, stayed on the pitch for some pics after the game, had great banter in the dressing room after the game, thanked us all for playing but then had to leave early to pick up his kids.
I wonder how many of our current players would be so amenable and approachable?
Richard Edghill - he stepped up to the plate when it mattered so will always be a City legend - in my book anyway.

I was right next to the incident when it happened and couldn't believe the ref didn't send him off, it was a fucking disgraceful challenge. Yes the lad caught Edghill and cut his knee on the way down, but that was because if he hadn't have jumped up out of the way he very well may have ended up with two broken ankles
Edghill left the ground and jumped in with two feet, I honestly still can't believe what I actually saw from a former pro on an amateur player in a charity game
When even the referee told Edghill that in a normal (non charity) game he would have been given his marching orders

Didsbury Dave said:
RIchard Edgehill. A dark stain on the reputation of our fans.

The important thing to remember is that when Edgehill was with us we were plummetting down from the top half of the Premier League to the bottom half of the third tier. Our crowds were notoriously restless and unhappy. The ground would be a theatre of anger and frustration. When Edgehill broke through he looked a real prospect. I remember him playing centre half against Newcastle and he looked like a future international. But he got an injury, came back and struggled.

And he became the whipping boy, the symbol of our ineptitude. He took some merciless abuse sometimes. That infamous game when he had a howler (someone above said Coventry but I can't remember the opponents), after his errors the crowd were so incensed that every time he got the ball there were loud boos around the ground. At the time I felt so sorry for him and so annoyed that this is what it had come to. But it was like a bonding thing amongst some city fans, a way to focus our pain. "Fucking Edgehill", someone posted above, and that was what many people referred to him as.

When we got to the second division everyone had a long hard look at themselves and there was something of an amnesty, as we all tried to rally round in that second half of the season to finally turn the club around. His form was consistent, he became popular again and a lot of people felt embarrassed about the treatment he'd been given. When the abuse was at it's worst he never moaned once, he just took it and carried on giving his all, and a lot recognised that.

And then Gillingham. He walked up to take that crucial spot kick and every single blue in the ground looked at each other. He had never, ever scored for City. A ripple of fear spread around our support and there was even a nervous, hopeful round of applause as he walked up. He was the only player to get that.

And he banged in in the top corner, turned to us fans and kissed the badge as we roared in relief. You could see the raw emotion and relief all over his face. I'm getting goosebumps now thinking of the significance of that moment.

For the way he took that abuse, got his nose to the grindstone and delivered the goods with that penalty in our hour of darkness, he deserves to be a fucking hero.

Brilliant post

Didsbury Dave said:

The important thing to remember is that when Edgehill was with us we were plummetting down from the top half of the Premier League to the bottom half of the third tier. Our crowds were notoriously restless and unhappy. The ground would be a theatre of anger and frustration. When Edgehill broke through he looked a real prospect. I remember him playing centre half against Newcastle and he looked like a future international. But he got an injury, came back and struggled.

And he became the whipping boy, the symbol of our ineptitude. He took some merciless abuse sometimes. That infamous game when he had a howler (someone above said Coventry but I can't remember the opponents), after his errors the crowd were so incensed that every time he got the ball there were loud boos around the ground. At the time I felt so sorry for him and so annoyed that this is what it had come to. But it was like a bonding thing amongst some city fans, a way to focus our pain. "Fucking Edgehill", someone posted above, and that was what many people referred to him as.

When we got to the second division everyone had a long hard look at themselves and there was something of an amnesty, as we all tried to rally round in that second half of the season to finally turn the club around. His form was consistent, he became popular again and a lot of people felt embarrassed about the treatment he'd been given. When the abuse was at it's worst he never moaned once, he just took it and carried on giving his all, and a lot recognised that.

And then Gillingham. He walked up to take that crucial spot kick and every single blue in the ground looked at each other. He had never, ever scored for City. A ripple of fear spread around our support and there was even a nervous, hopeful round of applause as he walked up. He was the only player to get that.

And he banged in in the top corner, turned to us fans and kissed the badge as we roared in relief. You could see the raw emotion and relief all over his face. I'm getting goosebumps now thinking of the significance of that moment.

For the way he took that abuse, got his nose to the grindstone and delivered the goods with that penalty in our hour of darkness, he deserves to be a fucking hero.

Spot on Dave.

When he broke through he looked a real prospect. He had a serious knee injury, lost pace and was never at the same level again. We were a poor side. The loss of Edghill was a major factor in relgation as he had the makings of being one of our star players, even if not quite the standard of an Ashley Cole. Problem was he became associated with failure at City and became a whipping boy for some fans who would not see any good in him.

Glad to see him still involved with City.

Didsbury Dave said:

Indeed, one of the few footballers I'd take time out to thank for his time.

I still remember a mate (who was a big match going Blue) telling me him and his mates saw Edgy in a bar in town on his own my mate (such is his sense of humour) said " Aight, you still playing for that shit team", Edgy, obviously thinking he was a rag was straight in his face despite being vastly outnumbered, obviously it ended well once things were explained, but my mate remembers well, for those few seconds, that Edgy was having none of it and was never going to stand by whilst someone trashed the club, says it all really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.