RIP Gary Shaw.

Always liked him as a player, him, Withe and Morley were excellent as a front three. Those were the days when you wanted other English teams in Europe.
As other have said 63 is no age, it makes you aware of your own mortality when players you watched when you were younger start going and he was 12 months younger than me.

He was a superb player, another crocked by a so called fellow professional.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys. To me, and many Villa from my era Gary was a childhood hero.

We all wanted wedge haircuts, the girls all used to fancy him at school.

He loved a party, he was still so down to earth and you'd always see him in bars around town.

When he gets the ball he's bound to score.....
Remember the whole country cheering Villa on in the European cup final against the geeeeermanz back in the day, except maybe Birmingham City fans

Remember the whole country cheering Villa on in the European cup final against the geeeeermanz back in the day, except maybe Birmingham City fans
I remember that evening well although I was only a nipper.
I also thought when in Istanbul when We won it there will be thousands of kids watching and remembering that night for years and a good few will have become Blues.
RIP Gary Shaw.

I was 10

Date was 31 January 1981.

We travelled from Manchester-Hitchhiked from Granada services with old John and Kev(my next door neighbours) and it was an evening match.John Lennon had just died.

Gary scored a screamer of a volley and City got beat 1 nil.What a player he was and that scruffy **** Withe

I'll never forget that goal as I was right in front of it when it left his foot.Went home miserable.
i wont tell you how we got home but it wasn’t in John's car :)

But we were back at Villa Park in the spring for the FA Cup semi final and that was a different story.
RIP Gary

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.