RIP MIKE DOYLE

Re: mick doyle

blueshortshorts said:
Pigeonho said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
If so,just delete the offending post and ban the twat,and ideally give out his home address,not sack the whole thread off.
I had followed the original one and unless I missed it there wasn't anything disrespectful on there. Some nice tributes were on there too so pretty baffled why its been pulled.

Probably waiting for official confirmation, as far as I am aware there has been no public announcement from the family. Looks like it's true though. R.I.P Mike
It's been on the men website for at least half an hour and it's on the BBC news

Stoke fan here just wanting to pay my respect to Mike Doyle. He still had something about him when he came to Stoke towards the end of his career and served us well. RIP Mike Doyle.

For anyone wondering how significant Mike was, here's the profile I did of him for "Manchester The Greatest City":

MAINE CITIZENS NUMBER 23 - MIKE DOYLE

Mike Doyle was a vital member of two successful periods at Maine Road, and had managed to bridge the gap between Mercer and Allison's great team of the late sixties, and Book's mid-70s entertainers.

As with most of the home-grown talent of the 60s and 70s, he was first spotted by City's legendary scout 'uncle' Harry Godwin. Godwin was at a Stretford V Stockport schoolboys' match with George Poyser on 19th November 1960 when the two men noticed Stockport's left-back. Godwin approached a teacher to find out all he could about the youngster and was told: "His name is Michael Doyle, a pupil of Reddish Vale school." Immediately on hearing that name Godwin was convinced he already knew something about the player. When he got home he searched through his diary and found a newspaper cutting of a letter which read:

"I'm not very good at arithmetic, but when I leave school I want to be a professional footballer or a PE teacher. Michael Doyle, Farley Way, Reddish."

The following day Godwin searched for Farley Way, found the Doyle home, and knocked on the door. He explained who he was and was allowed in. Immediately on entering the room he knew he was on to a winner as there was evidence of strong City support. He struck up a rapport with Mike's parents: "I knew after our first little chat that there was only one club for their only son, and that was Manchester City. But I had to follow the rules at the time, and it was more than 12 months before I could sign the lad on a form."

Doyle actually joined the City groundstaff in May 1962 and made his debut, playing in Alan Oakes' number 6 shirt, in the 2-2 draw at Cardiff on Friday 12th March 1965, although the general confusion at Maine Road at the time almost caused him to miss the journey to Wales. Oakes returned for the following match, and it wasn't until 16th April that he made his second appearance. Like all comic book heroes, Doyle was actually stood outside Maine Road an hour before kick off, eating fish and chips, when Chairman Albert Alexander tapped him on the shoulder and told him to get changed.

Doyle then remained in the post-Poyser side, wearing number 4, until the end of what was a traumatic season.

During the Summer Mercer and Allison arrived and City were transformed, with Doyle playing a leading role in every City triumph of the period. In fact, he shares the distinction with Tommy Booth of appearing in more finals than any other City player. Both men played in the 3 finals of 1969 and 1970, and the 1974 and 1976 League Cup finals. Doyle also played 19 games plus 1 as substitute in City's promotion season, and 37 plus 1 during the Championship season. He even captained City to their 1976 triumph. Put simply no other player has a record to match.

Ever the determined player City fans loved his fighting spirit and never say die attitude. They also loved his frequent anti-United statements, although these also brought him a large amount of hate mail, and even death threats from supporters of Manchester's other club. In 1970, by winning the League Cup, City appeared to end all possibility of United qualifying for Europe, it wasn't true as the Reds finished too low in any case, however the media made much of Doyle's light-hearted boast that he had started a new campaign to keep United out of European competition.

In 1975 he became City's captain and again used his gritty determination to drive the Blues forward in search of success. That success came in 1976, and then the following season he helped push City to second place in the League, although he was transferred three games off the end of the season after making 33 appearances.

He moved to Stoke for £50,000 and continued to perform to his usual high standard through to January 1982 when he arrived at Bolton after 115 League appearances with Stoke. After 40 League games with Bolton he transferred to Rochdale, making 24 appearances before his playing career ended in 1983 - over 20 years after he first joined City.

On the international front he made 8 appearances with the under-23 side during the late sixties, and won 5 England caps between March 1976 and February 1977. He also played in two inter-League games. His last game for England was the rather disappointing 2-0 defeat by Holland on 9th February 1977 when Don Revie selected 3 centre-halves (Beattie, Watson, and Doyle) plus utility defender Madeley against a side that did not contain a recognisable centre-forward. It was not a particularly good time to play for England!

Mike Doyle was a tremendously loyal City player and a fine example of what a professional should be. He always played in a determined manner and won many admirers with his total dedication to the Blue cause. Many would say he is the perfect Blue.

DOYLE'S PLAYING RECORD

LEAGUE FA CUP FL CUP EUROPE TOTAL
App Gls App Gls App Gls App Gls App Gls
1964-65 6 0 0 0 0 0 - - 6 0
1965-66 19(1) 7 7 1 0 0 - - 26(1) 8
1966-67 14(2) 0 5 1 0 0 - - 19(2) 1
1967-68 37(1) 5 4 0 3 0 - - 44(1) 5
1968-69 40 5 7 0 3 0 2 0 52 5
1969-70 41 4 2 0 7 2 9 1 59 7
1970-71 37 5 3 0 1 0 7 1 48 6
1971-72 41 1 2 0 2 0 - - 45 1
1972-73 38(2) 1 5 0 1 0 2 0 46(2) 1
1973-74 39 1 2 0 11 0 - - 52 1
1974-75 42 1 1 0 2 1 - - 45 2
1975-76 41 1 2 0 9 1 - - 52 2
1976-77 33 1 4 0 1 0 2 0 40 0
1977-78 13(1) 0 0 0 3 0 1 0 17(1) 0
TOTAL 441(7) 32 44 2 43 4 23 2 551(7) 40

This was a draft version (I can't find my final text, but apart from possibly a few typos it's more or less the final version). I've posted an image of the final version with a photo of Mike on my facebook page: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150225386562816&set=pu.289818652815&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater</a>

My condolences to the Doyle and Pardoe families.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.