RIP MIKE DOYLE

Gone But Never Forgotten, R.I.P Mike Doyle.

259872_233927123292054_100000243057365_855022_7080868_n.jpg

Evening Gents

Like everyone else I only heard the news this morning, immediately sacked work and have only just come home off the lash all day. I knew him personally and and feel like one of my own has passed away. A bit too drunk now to read through 40-odd pages of this thread , however if anyone gets the heads-up regarding funeral date/time...etc would be grateful for the gen. Can only imagine that it will be at Dukinfield Cemetary following a cortege from Ashton up either Crescent Road or Sandy Lane. The route should be turned blue for an hour or two, guys. Legend. RIP x

PS - For all you young'uns .. think Vincent Kompany, but born in Reddish, grew up hating the Rags and who's playing career spanned all of the glory years your Dad / Grandad still drools about after a jar or two

I watched Mike Doyle come through the ranks at City, in both the youth team and the reserves. Most notable was the youth teams run to the semi-final before being defeated by United including three of four first team regulars: David Sadler, George Best, etc.

Mike was not an immediate hit when he came into the first team and took some time to find his feet and his best position. Initially he was a wing-half but after scoring a few goals even appeared with a number 9 shirt. That was not a success but he eventually settled in the number four position.

It was hard to categorize that team in terms of positions as they played so fluidly. Lee and Summerbee frequently changed positions and Doyle, playing a more defensive midfield role than Bell, was never afraid to come forward as evidenced by his scoring record. As with many midfield players he dropped deeper into central defence as he got older.

Mike Doyle was a true City great.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.