RIP Tony Grealish

Sad news, and as has already been said, 56 is no age at which to die. I to recall his début against the Rags during 86-97. It was on ITV, the late great Brian Moor commentating... with none of the arse-licking of the rags that you get from today's commentators either! Frizzell had just taken over from McNeil and we were both poor on the pitch and skint off it... never a good combo! Frizzell went to work in the market and brought in John Gidman, Imre Viradi and Tony Grealish. The signings (who I think all made their débuts or at least home débuts that day?) were hoped by some to have the same positive impact that Bond's 3 early signings had had in 80. Alas, although the team perked up a bit pre-Christmas, it wasn't to be and we were eventually relegated. Not the happiest time to be a blue and in truth the whole of football was in the doldrums.

Remember Tony well from the "Good old (or should that be 'Bad old') Days".

It wasn't a vintage season for us (that's an understatement) but I have fond memories of Tony kicking everything that moved as we struggled toward relegation - especially, as people have said, various United players who expected to beat us easily but couldn't thanks partly to Tony, who helped to even things up a bit by throwing himself at anything in a red shirt that day.

Just think what someone like Balotelli could have done for us if only he'd had 10% of Tony's heart.

Sad news.

During the late 60s I was in a Rock shop in Brighton. The owner spotted my City shirt and commented that he knew quite a few city players personally from the days when he was the Manager.
At first I thought he meant the Manager of the Rock shop, but it transpired that he was Chris Cattlin, the former Manager of Brighton from 1983-1987.
After discussing Gordon Smith, Michael Robinson and the John Bond resignation (City fan allegedly spitting at Bond on the way home from the 4-0 Cup defeat) I happened to mention the Grealish foul on Whiteside.
Cattlin laughed and confessed that Grealish had never forgiven Whiteside for a cowardly foul on the Brighton full back, Chris Ramsey during the 1983 Cup final. Ramsey never played for Brighton again and Grealish took it personally, vowing to avenge the assault.
Coincidentally his debut for City was against United and Grealish promised that he would put Whiteside on his arse at the first opportunity.
As already mentioned, he did this in quite spectacular fashion.
An obvious Red Card in 2013, but apparently he said to Whiteside “That’s for Chris”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.