Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, great chance for him to get a bit more game time and push his development. A mix of Bernardo, sterling, Diaz for a few weeks till Jesus is back is surely enough. Mahrez is 29 and been average for the last 2 seasons. Goes against everything we are doing in the transfer market.

He's 26.

based on what ? hes barely been given a chance. hes not going to have the experience on playing in a cl quarter final either. barely any 18 years olds do. if you are good enough it shouldnt matter about your age. if you are saying they have to have cup final or champions league experience to get game time then no academy player will ever play for us.

Don’t get me wrong I want him to play and I think he has a real chance to play for us but right now we have only Aguero, Sterling, and Bernardo fit. It’s not enough. We are chasing 4 trophies hence my examples of the kinds of games we need to have players rotated in. Diaz is ready for minutes, from his short cameos this season I’ve seen moments of utter brilliance and ones of a young player trying to do too much. He’s ready to play but not ready to have a major role in our current squad was my point.

Spending 60mil+ just because Leroy is out for a few weeks? No thanks.

Some papers were saying a week or two back that we wanted two forwards in the summer so we could just be bringing one of those targets forward to now. We clearly wanted Sanchez and have been looking at Hazard which seemed unrealistic. Mahrez is not simply a panic buy. He is a very good footballer.

I'm not sure if I should read the bitter replies from "neutrals" just yet. I'll wait to see how this progresses tonight.

Don’t get me wrong I want him to play and I think he has a real chance to play for us but right now we have only Aguero, Sterling, and Bernardo fit. It’s not enough. We are chasing 4 trophies hence my examples of the kinds of games we need to have players rotated in. Diaz is ready for minutes, from his short cameos this season I’ve seen moments of utter brilliance and ones of a young player trying to do too much. He’s ready to play but not ready to have a major role in our current squad was my point.

jesus is coming back soon and sane is out for 6 weeks. i dont think thats enough to say lets spend 60m on a back up player and i think we have more then enough. my worry is diaz basically has no chance of getting enough game time and will en dup leaving. with everyone fit, he doesnt make the bench. just my opinion though.

Mahrez is one year older, scores more and creates more. He has also managed to do it while playing in a title winning side, showing he was able to step up to a required level. Zaha was given his chance at a higher level and granted he was just a kid but he failed miserably.

I can understand people having some doubts about either of them but if we are talking about a straight choice between the two, its barely even a fair contest in my opinion.
Who has been the more accomplished player the last 3-4 years? Sure that's an easy question... Its Mahrez hands down.

But that's not the question I find myself asking. My question is who is more like the successful Wingers in Pep's system? I.e. who has more of Sane and Sterling's traits? I.e. Speed, Power, Athletism, Strength, and Explosiveness. The answer to that is Zaha. And it's by a considerable margin.

Mahrez is more like Bernado to me. Bernardo had all the same qualities Mahrez has. Fantastic dribbler, good vision, scores goals, creates goals. But on the wing, in Pep's system... He is nowhere near Sane or Sterling in terms of effectiveness.

And I believe a similar faith will befall Mahrez if he comes here. I can see folks begging for him to be moved to the middle within a month of being here.

Another one on added to the pile of backups to the Debryune/Silva hegemony.

Does it get better than Kirsty Gallagher talking about City.

Best way to announce him signing would be Kirsty slipping into a city shirt live on air with his name on the back.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Personally I think if any big side thought Bailey was attainable right now for €60m then they'd be going for it immediately.

With regards to Mahrez, i don't want to see chances restricted for the likes of Diaz and Bernardo Silva, but I think we can accommodate everyone whilst ensuring we have cover at times like this. I'd also argue that at 20yrs old Bailey would be more like to restrict our academy prospects chances than Mahrez. Diaz will only be 22 when Mahrez is 31. Like poeple keep saying, we have 60 games a season and some players have been overused so far.
Whoever we sign it would restrict Diaz. I guess he will leave us regardless of whether we sign Mahrez, Bailey or someone else who is a winger. I mentioned Bailey, because I don`t think Diaz has a future here, but I would prefer Diaz to be Sane`s backup, but my opinion is completely worthless in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.