Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was said two summers ago, then January, then last summer, then this January and he continues to perform for us. We know how good he is, when you pay £57m for a centre back, then it's fair to expect more for an attacking player, who performs year after year in this league. He doesn't rely on pace, so you're getting a player who can offer the squad something for a good 5 years.

Might be true for some clubs, but we tend to spend more on defenders than we do on attackers. There will come a time when he'll force his way out come hell or high water. At £65m he'd be our record transfer by some distance. History shows that we're not a club to spend £80m or £90m on a single player and there are no signs that any other club is even willing to match our valuation. If he doesn't get his move this Summer then I think you'll antagonise him to the point beyond recall.

Not sure about this one. Initially wasn't a huge fan, another lefty who plays on the right doesn't seem to be what we need.

But going a bit deeper it's clear we need a wide forward as having 2 natural wide men in a squad competing on all fronts simply isn't enough. And Sane/Sterling are our future, we need to give them the game time. Therefore what we really need, is a proven quality wide forward, who will be happy rotating rather than starting every game. That's a pretty tough criteria to fulfil; we can't sign Griezmann or Hazard etc. and expect them to be happy rotating with Sterling/Sane, but Mahrez at the stage in his career will likely be more accepting that initially that may well be his role.

I don't like Bernardo on the right, for me he lacks the pace to get in behind, and whilst he's good at dribbling, his initial lack of acceleration means I don't recall him beating his fullback almost at all this season. He's made it work, but for me I hope his long-term future is central. Mahrez is different in that he's got a bit extra pace, and has that burst to beat his man - in a different way to say Sterling.

I think he adds a new dynamic, and in the current market of players available could actually be the correct target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.