Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
i get that mate but Pep has alwasy been vocal in the need for squad refresh every couple of years as players get fizzled out working for him being so demanding etc and he worries about players dropping off? He also says if the players stop responding then he leaves so fuck that! lol. Younger, fresh hungry next gen stars for him to mould always seems to get his juices flowing as well and gives him extra appetite to go again.
Agree. Onwards and upwards. It’s been proved in the past that standing still isn’t good. The older ones need keeping on their toes and pushing for more success while we’ve got this amazing opportunity. I’m sure Pep and the owners feel the same from what they say.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole club takes a breather next season. We need to acknowledge that winning the treble will have an impact on players, coaches and the top brass.

City completed football in Istanbul. Wouldn’t surprise me if we start slow. I understand the need to avoid this by selling older players and bringing in fresh blood. Mentality wise it will be an interesting watch.

Khaldoon said Txiki, pep, Soriano and himself asked how we go again…so I have no doubt we are actively trying to strengthen the squad. We don’t need to throw silly money around, let the floundering competition do just that.

A few shrewd buys should be enough.

Khaldoon also said that we will improve and we have to be better and go better?

i get that mate but Pep has alwasy been vocal in the need for squad refresh every couple of years as players get fizzled out working for him being so demanding etc and he worries about players dropping off? He also says if the players stop responding then he leaves so fuck that! lol. Younger, fresh hungry next gen stars for him to mould always seems to get his juices flowing as well and gives him extra appetite to go again.
i know, and I'm pretty sure when, Pep, Txiki, Khaldoon, Berrada,and Soriano sit down and discuss the suumer transfers all those things are taken into account as then plan next seasons squad.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole club takes a breather next season. We need to acknowledge that winning the treble will have an impact on players, coaches and the top brass.

City completed football in Istanbul. Wouldn’t surprise me if we start slow. I understand the need to avoid this by selling older players and bringing in fresh blood. Mentality wise it will be an interesting watch.

Khaldoon said Txiki, pep, Soriano and himself asked how we go again…so I have no doubt we are actively trying to strengthen the squad. We don’t need to throw silly money around, let the floundering competition do just that.

A few shrewd buys should be enough.
We have two seasons left with the greatest manager of all time who is handsomely paid and a squad that is also more than decently compensated. I don’t think we should waste or settle for little because we had an overly successful season, especially still having Pep here. There is no guarantee that we can leave the top and come back the moment we please. This isn’t like Spain where Real Madrid can have a down season and the next it will still be there. Or Germany where Bayern could have lost to Dortmund and would still be the biggest thing. We “take a breather” and then we have to deal more than a handful strong oppositions.

On the other hand, I would agree with you that the squad as is will have a tendency to have a bureaucratic season. That’s the point, we have the summer market to act and change the squad make up enough so we can challenge for everything again.

We are not owed by destiny even being top 4 if we don’t work hard and serious for it. We can’t let the opposition smell blood in the water. And we need to milk every bit of Pep’s competence until he leaves as we frankly can’t have assurances for the next era.

i know, and I'm pretty sure when, Pep, Txiki, Khaldoon, Berrada,and Soriano sit down and discuss the suumer transfers all those things are taken into account as then plan next seasons squad.
This is the doubt I have. The planning didn’t start the day after we won the CL, it started long before. But I don’t think you can ignore that winning the treble should be a changing factor.

We should also maintain a level of skepticism ourselves. Let’s remember last summer. Chelsea wanted Ake. Oh I remember some of the fans’ reactions. “Let him go, we can use Mbete as the replacement”. There was even a bit of “Phillips can also play CB”.
What happened was that not only Ake stayed but at nearly the last minute we needed to make a rushed signing (“unlike City”) that was an admission that the squad hadn’t been planned that well. And I think we can agree there would have no treble without signing Akanji. We could also not have made that signing and right now we would be blaming losing another Champions League on “luck” and contemplating that Arsenal won the league because their energy levels couldn’t be matched etc. It’s the fine details that count sometimes more than the bigger picture, larger planning, process etc.

Khaldoon also said that we will improve and we have to be better and go better?
Can you be better after having a treble season?

Can you really be better after winning 3 leagues in a row.

We can go for 4 or maybe win the champions league again but I would think the odds on us doing another treble or quad would be long

All I am saying is that we reached the top last season. Don’t mean job done but that’s the reality. Always go into the season hoping we win 1 trophy, preferably the league.

Does the squad need a shake up? Probably. Will we be ok with kova and gvardiol most definitely. Are we short in attacking areas? Again probably. Near impossible to have the perfect squad.

Tolm said 2 more after gvardiol so that sounds about right.

Can you be better after having a treble season?

Can you really be better after winning 3 leagues in a row.
I don’t think it’s about improving on the results. It’s the team that can certainly be improved. What we win is the consequence

We have two seasons left with the greatest manager of all time who is handsomely paid and a squad that is also more than decently compensated. I don’t think we should waste or settle for little because we had an overly successful season, especially still having Pep here. There is no guarantee that we can leave the top and come back the moment we please. This isn’t like Spain where Real Madrid can have a down season and the next it will still be there. Or Germany where Bayern could have lost to Dortmund and would still be the biggest thing. We “take a breather” and then we have to deal more than a handful strong oppositions.

On the other hand, I would agree with you that the squad as is will have a tendency to have a bureaucratic season. That’s the point, we have the summer market to act and change the squad make up enough so we can challenge for everything again.

We are not owed by destiny even being top 4 if we don’t work hard and serious for it. We can’t let the opposition smell blood in the water. And we need to milk every bit of Pep’s competence until he leaves as we frankly can’t have assurances for the next era.
Pep might sign another extension? Not beyond the realms of possibility. The squad last season was tweaked and led us to a treble. The same squad that many people thought looked weak.

At some point other teams will close the gap. The club only acts on the market if the right player emerges. No one is panicking. The reality is that it’s hard staying top, pep gives us that edge which allows the club to take its time. City tend to stay away from an auction and prefer under the radar signings unless it’s a Grealish release clause. We buy good players with Pep’s coaching turning some into world class.

Also FFP and the premier charges must be an issue.

Every season the fans want world class players and every season bar Haaland that’s not the player we buy. We have a method and it works. The success is unprecedented. How can you argue with this approach?

This narrative does make me laugh. As if the ridiculous money he is on now is somehow deemed as insufficient. Mahrez is reportedly earning £160,000 a week (not to mention bonuses, boot deals, advertising deals etc). I’m sure he and his family will just about manage to scrape by
Insufficient if he wants to own a 200ft yacht, yeah.

Huge difference between having 40m in the bank and 250m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.