Roberto Mancini - next Italy manager

Zenit won a tight match 1-0 away to Amkar Perm today to stay 3 points clear of second-placed Lokomotiv. Rostov can go level in second if they win tonight. Big leads already for Zenit over last seasons top two, CSKA and Spartak - 7 and 11 points respectively.

Important win for Zenit last night, beating Utrecht to qualify for the Europa League group stages. They went one up after 9 minutes to level the tie, but didn't clinch it until 15 minutes into extra time. Still, it was a good performance and the result was well deserved. The regular Thursday night games make the domestic title challenge tougher, but the club and the fans regard playing in Europe (in the EL if they can't make the CL) as significant for their prestige, so getting through this one mattered.

Another big crowd by Russian standards of 49K. Billed as a sell-out so they obviously closed a large part of the top tier. Such a figure is in part due to the fact that they priced the tickets cheap (less than three quid for the cheapest) - but also a sign that Mancini does seem to have enthused the support. My son-in-law says the fans have really taken to him.

Next up on Sunday evening - Rostov, currently in third, five points behind Zenit. Pisses me off that it's yet another home game in the late Sunday slot. I'd have liked to go to that one but will settle for watching on TV given that I don't want to get home from the game around midnight when I get up at six on Monday for work. Anyway, win this game and Zenit will go into he international break in great shape.

They've also signed another Argentinian, a fifth this summer. This one's a 24-year-old midfielder called Emiliano Rigoni, who's signed a 4-year-contract after joining from Independiente.

EDIT to include details of Europa League group stage draw - they've got Real Sociedad, Rosenborg, FK Vardar. Really ought to get through that one, I'd have thought.

Last edited:
Congratulations Petrusha.

We tried the best we could; fighting hard for 210 minutes , but in the end it was the team with the better players who won.

It was nice to play such a big team though. What a beautiful stadium Zenit have ! Also funny to see Roberto Mancini in our stadium. I bet we scared him a little bit after the first game :)

But in the end the giant beat the little man..... Good luck in the next round.

Congratulations Petrusha.

We tried the best we could; fighting hard for 210 minutes , but in the end it was the team with the better players who won.

It was nice to play such a big team though. What a beautiful stadium Zenit have ! Also funny to see Roberto Mancini in our stadium. I bet we scared him a little bit after the first game :)

But in the end the giant beat the little man..... Good luck in the next round.

You were impressive over the two legs and almost held on to take Zenit to penalties. Am sure they were rather nervous about the prospect, as well. You and your team's Twitter account were both extremely gracious and I wish you luck for the season. Cheers!

+1

Well said - this sums up Mancini in a nutshell.

And yet - I think that Mancini's ire was warranted in his last year - he pleaded with management for an improved squad - he met with Milan and seemed to be in preliminary negotiations to sign Ibra and Silva (just think, had that deal gone through we'd have, Silva, Silva and Silva, LOL).

Mancini was ignored - and we made a bunch of pro-forma signings, none of which Mancini wanted, and then we failed to perform.

While this was going on, upper management didn't have Mancini's back - Tevez got away with murder - for one - and there's rumor that the rest of the squad quickly lost respect for Bobbi.
===========
So Bobbi fell out with management - and was fired. But in spite of these circumstances, Bobbi to this day remains supportive of our club.

I really do like Mancini - he's the best manager we've had recently until the arrival of Pep.
This! Except Mancini is the best we've had. Pep has still a lot to prove. And I think he will!

Slightly disappointing reult tonight - a 0-0 draw at home to a resilient Rostov side in front of another decent crowd of 50,404. Already, teams have played 8 games out of 30, so more than a quarter of the programme out of the way. Zenit go into the international break still top, a point clear of Lokomotiv Moscow, with Rostov and Krasnodar each a further four points back

Mancini being linked with West Ham in London's Evening Standard: https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...laven-bilic-as-west-ham-manager-a3626266.html - headline suggests he's the front runner but the text actually says he's second favourite behind Benitez to take over if they fire Bilic.

Next game for Zenit is on Sunday away to Dinamo Moscow, with the kick off at 2 pm Moscow time. I'd imagine Zenit would be disappointed not to win that one given that Dinamo are in 11th place out of 16 teams with 8 points from 8 games.

A frustrating 0-0 draw today for Mancini's Zenit away to Dinamo Moscow. Saw the second half, which was being shown in a pub I was in, and it was reminiscent of watching City on occasion over the last few years. Dinamo could barely get out of their own half, but for all their dominance, Zenit didn't carve out many really clear-cut chances.

They'll lose their grip on top spot if Lokomotiv Moscow can win in Grozny later on (not an easy task, that, mind).

EDIT - Lokomotiv led from 55 minutes but Akhmat equalised six minutes before time and it finished 1-1. Zenit have 21 points from 9 games and are top, with Lokomotiv in second a point behind.

Last edited:
Zenit won away to Macedonian side FK Vadar Skopje 5-0 tonight. In the same group as Sociedad though so those games should be fairly entertaining.

Zenit won away to Macedonian side FK Vadar Skopje 5-0 tonight. In the same group as Sociedad though so those games should be fairly entertaining.

Weak opponents, admittedly, but the display has earned a lot of praise in the Russian media. Our old pal Bob seems happy, as well:

Next up - Ufa at home. Ufa are currently 9th (out of 16) and have 10 points from their 9 games so far. Match being played on Monday night (18 September), I presume to give Zenit an extra day's rest after their Europa League exertions. Second-placed Lokomotiv also play on Monday evening, with a very winnable home game against bottom team Amkar Perm. They played in the Europa Leaguie yesterday (drew 0-0 away to FC Copenhagen).

Lokomotiv definitely felt the benefit in August of not, as Russian Cup holders, having to play any Europa League qualifiers when Zenit faced four tough qualifying round matches. It's a level playing field now in terms of the Thursday night engagements, so that could be to Zenit's advantage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.