Rochdale v. Mini-me Rags

RBmk2 said:
imared said:
I'm sorry but you can't compare city's boardroom machinations since the 80s with United's. Completely different situations. United overnight went from being debt free, with below average ticket prices for the division and still spending a hell of a lot of money on players, to being £700m in debt with the supporters basically being asked to pay off someone else's mortgage for them. We're now one of the most expensive clubs to attend in Britain, as your away fans will sadly be aware. Another critical difference is that we have had the luxury at United to be able to focus our attention on the owners and the board, as team matters have generally been fine. At city and Liverpool you are always going to welcome new owners with less scrutiny as on pitch affairs have been shoddy - and I fully understand that and would never criticise you for it.

The Glazers carpet bagged United and were aided and abetted by Ferguson. Gill and Charlton. There was no one inside the club fighting the supporters' corner, dissent was stamped out and Ferguson and Gill were basically exposed as hyprocrites. It split the support. Some thought they could 'fight from within' or 'wait and see', some boycotted, some went to FC and some just put their head in the sand. Over time these numbers have changed and now fewer people than ever before are prepared to fund the Glazers. It's a complex situation and yes you do get the likes of a certain hooly book writer taking a hardcore line against the likes of FC but the majority of United fans have a feeling of benevolance towards the new club.

I agree that while you do get some people who will actively follow both, it is impossible in my case to feel the same passion for two clubs (even when they are so intrinsically linked). But going to FC does give you a throwback to what following football was like back in the good old days, it is affordable and it is still 'United' in many ways. It has the community feel to it which has now been thrown out of the window at United and most/all other top flight clubs.

United have won 3 leagues and the Champions League since the Glazers took over. FC United are currently below mid table in the Evostick Premier Division. It is and never has been about the football and trophies.

I fully expect as a red on here to have all this ripped to shreds and to hear that 'all Rags are like this', 'all blues are better because of this' and other such silliness. I know a lot of blues who would agree that modern football is sh*t and would much rather be back in the 80s at Maine Rd than now being the richest club in the world. I have also seen blues fighting each other at the only city away game I have ever been to - so the idea that you are all steadfastly one way and we are all the polar opposite is just nonsense.

Right, I've got 3 kids tugging at my legs so have to get off. Laters divs ;)

Congratulations fella.I don't agree with much of what you say, but a great response.
We don't get much of that from oppo fans on here!
Enjoy your afternoon...on second thoughts,don't.....;-)

I am certainly one who thinks that modern football is shit. We have fans licking players arses when said players cant even be arsed trying hard half the time.

Maybe age takes its toll but I am much less enthusiastic about it now than I was 10 years ago.

Was at Wigan away a few weeks ago, The game was shite, the atmosphere was shite and Some of our players had to be told to acknowledge the fans at the end.

I'm sorry but you can't compare city's boardroom machinations since the 80s with United's. Completely different situations. United overnight went from being debt free, with below average ticket prices for the division and still spending a hell of a lot of money on players, to being £700m in debt with the supporters basically being asked to pay off someone else's mortgage for them. We're now one of the most expensive clubs to attend in Britain, as your away fans will sadly be aware. Another critical difference is that we have had the luxury at United to be able to focus our attention on the owners and the board, as team matters have generally been fine. At city and Liverpool you are always going to welcome new owners with less scrutiny as on pitch affairs have been shoddy - and I fully understand that and would never criticise you for it.

The Glazers carpet bagged United and were aided and abetted by Ferguson. Gill and Charlton. There was no one inside the club fighting the supporters' corner, dissent was stamped out and Ferguson and Gill were basically exposed as hyprocrites. It split the support. Some thought they could 'fight from within' or 'wait and see', some boycotted, some went to FC and some just put their head in the sand. Over time these numbers have changed and now fewer people than ever before are prepared to fund the Glazers. It's a complex situation and yes you do get the likes of a certain hooly book writer taking a hardcore line against the likes of FC but the majority of United fans have a feeling of benevolance towards the new club.

I agree that while you do get some people who will actively follow both, it is impossible in my case to feel the same passion for two clubs (even when they are so intrinsically linked). But going to FC does give you a throwback to what following football was like back in the good old days, it is affordable and it is still 'United' in many ways. It has the community feel to it which has now been thrown out of the window at United and most/all other top flight clubs.

United have won 3 leagues and the Champions League since the Glazers took over. FC United are currently below mid table in the Evostick Premier Division. It is and never has been about the football and trophies.

I fully expect as a red on here to have all this ripped to shreds and to hear that 'all Rags are like this', 'all blues are better because of this' and other such silliness. I know a lot of blues who would agree that modern football is sh*t and would much rather be back in the 80s at Maine Rd than now being the richest club in the world. I have also seen blues fighting each other at the only city away game I have ever been to - so the idea that you are all steadfastly one way and we are all the polar opposite is just nonsense.

Right, I've got 3 kids tugging at my legs so have to get off. Laters divs ;)

You still watching them mate?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.