Rock Evolution – The History of Rock ’n’ Roll Year by Year

I'll leave Sadds to provide an official answer, at a personal level I'm hoping when people cite their albums they might offer insights like "listen to track 4 which was the first use of the glokenspiel in a dub context" or whatever the salient point might be, so that people can get a sense of why they nominated things. I suspect most people won't be listening to and commenting on all 5 albums, just chipping in with points of interest etc.
Glockenspiel in a dub context surely is 91 and The Orbs Adventures from The Ultraworld. I might take that year as well

So what is actually happening here then? As in, how will it work.

One poster picks 5 songs from up to 5 album for a year they bagsied.

We discuss that year over the two weeks. Do others contribute song suggestions from the same year, if so how many? Then onto the next year/poster chronologically.

Have I got that right?
I think that Saddleworth2 and threespires have provided most of the answers you need.

We haven't decided on a maximum number of tracks that people should be allowed to nominate per year so let's have an open discussion here. That's what this week is for - sorting out the ground rules.

I was thinking that we need to be looking at a playlist length of 20-30 tracks per year, so I'd suggest everybody who is interested nominates one to begin with and we'll see how many we've got near the end of the first week of the two-week cycle. After that we can either fill our boots or hold back as appropriate.

Of course if 60 people all pile in with a song each that's great, we'll have a big playlist.

Finally, when you are joining in the discussions you can mention as many different songs/albums from the year as you like, but just make it clear what you want to be added to the playlist.

60s70s80s90s00s10s20s
19x0mrbelfry (2)threespires
19x1Saddleworth2 (1)OB1 (2)
19x2MancitydoogleBimboBob (2)
19x3OB1 (4)southamptonblue
19x4Saddleworth2 (3)FogBlueInSanFran
19x5RobMCFC (2)OB1 (1)Saddleworth2 (2)
19x6BimboBob (2)MancitydoogleBlueHammer85
19x7Bill Walker (1)Protein JunkieRobMCFC (1)mrbelfry (1)
19x8Bill Walker (2)
19x9OB1 (3)BimboBob (1)Out on Blue 6

I think that Saddleworth2 and threespires have provided most of the answers you need.

We haven't decided on a maximum number of tracks that people should be allowed to nominate per year so let's have an open discussion here. That's what this week is for - sorting out the ground rules.

I was thinking that we need to be looking at a playlist length of 20-30 tracks per year, so I'd suggest everybody who is interested nominates one to begin with and we'll see how many we've got near the end of the first week of the two-week cycle. After that we can either fill our boots or hold back as appropriate.

Of course if 60 people all pile in with a song each that's great, we'll have a big playlist.

Finally, when you are joining in the discussions you can mention as many different songs/albums from the year as you like, but just make it clear what you want to be added to the playlist.

60s70s80s90s00s10s20s
19x0mrbelfry (2)threespires
19x1Saddleworth2 (1)OB1 (2)
19x2MancitydoogleBimboBob (2)
19x3OB1 (4)southamptonblue
19x4Saddleworth2 (3)FogBlueInSanFran
19x5RobMCFC (2)OB1 (1)Saddleworth2 (2)
19x6BimboBob (2)MancitydoogleBlueHammer85
19x7Bill Walker (1)Protein JunkieRobMCFC (1)mrbelfry (1)
19x8Bill Walker (2)
19x9OB1 (3)BimboBob (1)Out on Blue 6

Thanks. All makes sense.

Now what do the numbers in the table mean? ;)

Thanks. All makes sense.

Now what do the numbers in the table mean? ;)
They are priority order for those who have asked for more than one year.

Anybody with a (1) has secured that year. Not sure about Mancitydoogle who didn't specify a priority.

But what that means is that if you see somebody with any number other than a (1), you could quite reasonably ask to replace them if you haven't already selected a year.

Similarly I'd argue that if you only have one pick, you could quite reasonably ask to replace somebody with a (3) etc.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan @Saddleworth2 & @threespires

This is why I would have preferred a transatlantic ( que Dream Theater ) approach to the year of 1980 with the said two moon orators covering all bases TS.

Who other than you would focus on Alan Parsons for example let alone mention him.

I am confident that Fog would not have included DE and BM in his soliloquy to reflect on your exquisite piece on the 4th anniversary of the release of Walk on City Lights.

Now as for Bob Seeger's Against the Wind well I reckon Fog would not have been able to contain himself on that score.

X and the Cramps aside this is the reason he really wanted 1980.

You may mock, but a couple of weeks ago elder son and I were having a discussion about whether we'd go to see BEAT if they decided to tour over here (our view was given the three albums they'd be focusing on, yes) - anyway the conversation broadened and we did indeed end up at The Alan Parsons Project!

You may mock, but a couple of weeks ago elder son and I were having a discussion about whether we'd go to see BEAT if they decided to tour over here (our view was given the three albums they'd be focusing on, yes) - anyway the conversation broadened and we did indeed end up at The Alan Parsons Project!
I am best when I mock myself TS.

I was listening to Turn of A Friendly Card ( Album ) just the other day which I would place in my top 10 albums released in 1980.

AP is a real talent of that I am in no doubt and never have since I first listened I Robot 47 years to the day.

Looking forward to your post TS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.