Rodney Marsh Q&A "I left my heart in Manchester"

Saw Marsh for QPR even before he came to City. Great little team, that, which came straight up through the divisions. I think the Morgan twins were also playing for them at that point, but I'd need to check it.
I was in the paddock at OT for that Marsh goal off the bench. Blues were absolutely buzzing. It was brilliant seeing it from there, because the whole of the scoreboard end was blue (it usually was for derbies), and that was the end he scored it at. The entire terrace went mad. Say what you like, we all thought that he was exactly what we needed at that point. I don't remember anyone doubting the wisdom of him coming to Maine Road.

Three heroes. David Bowie, Colin Bell and Rodney Marsh.
Not sure you choose your heroes, I think they may choose you.
But...
Long live Rodney..
2 out of 3 ain’t bad for me

Was one of my two favourite players for a long time. Wonderful to watch on a good day, truly an entertainer. Audacious at times. Will never forget him nutmegging Gordon Taylor (PFA Chairman) when he was a Birmingham player and then turning back a megging him again.

We won a derby at the swamp and Marsh was outstanding, even taking the piss at the end by dribbling the ball along the touch line.

Didn't he also tale the ball into the corner and then knock it into touch off Rag players to waste time.

Not sure if it was then but I'm sure I saw him take a quick throw in and bounce the ball off the back of an opposing player then waltz off with the ball.

Played against him when he was with the Rowdies. He came off the bench, scored a goal, ran past our bench and said, “That’s me done!” and laughed as he ran off!

He was a top, top player when he played for us. We were a team of mostly Manchester grafters at the time, and it was like we had brought in some silky, stylish, flash from Dahn Sarf, but he didn’t half light up the field.

He was, perhaps, the most skillful player in the League for a big man, and some of his goals were ridiculous!

Dennis Tueart was my fave as a kid

AC4893D3-E58F-4E35-82FC-71934D92B15F.jpeg
(liked the way he ran and celebrated his goals, which I copied!), but my slightly older sister adored Rodney...as I’m sure many a Maine Rd lass did!

Played against him when he was with the Rowdies. He came off the bench, scored a goal, ran past our bench and said, “That’s me done!” and laughed as he ran off!

He was a top, top player when he played for us. We were a team of mostly Manchester grafters at the time, and it was like we had brought in some silky, stylish, flash from Dahn Sarf, but he didn’t half light up the field.

He was, perhaps, the most skillful player in the League for a big man, and some of his goals were ridiculous!

Dennis Tueart was my fave as a kid

View attachment 8353
(liked the way he ran and celebrated his goals, which I copied!), but my slightly older sister adored Rodney...as I’m sure many a Maine Rd lass did!
I take it that's you with Dennis?

Up until the takeover, Dennis, along with Big David Watson (I can't separate them), was my joint second favourite City player. Frannie was always first and he's the reason I support City.

Mrs Vienna hated Rodney with a passion.

Last edited:
Towards the end of that season, Joe Corrigan got injured, and Ron Healey took his place. The defence didn't appear to have much confidence in him, and he was often suspect against tall forwards. I went to every game in that season (71/2) both home and away, and I remember he was beaten in the air twice by Ron Davies, against Southampton away, for their goals, something that would not have happened if 6' 5" Joe had been there.
Don't forget, we lost the league by one point to Derby that year, so it's a bit unfair to blame him alone.
Gordon Banks lost us the league in the final assessment 2 Points at home to Stoke and it was ours
Loved that season in the north stand

I take it that's you with Dennis?

Up until the takeover, Dennis, along with Big David Watson (I can't separate them), was my joint second favourite City player. Frannie was always first and he's the reason I support City.

Mrs Vienna hated Rodney with a passion.
Yep, that’s me!

Big Dave was a monster. I still remember that header at the North Stand that was harder than any shot I’d seen! I was in row 10 behind Helen and it literally rattled the goalposts!!

He was certainly a better buy than a roof over the seats between the Main Stand and the North Stand, otherwise known as the Dave Watson Gap!

Dias, albeit a more modern version, reminds me of Big Dave!

Good memories, all! :-)

Just watched the Steve Kinsey one, brilliant stuff
He seemed like a bit of a “Big I am” twat in the Youth System when I was there. Very cliquey. I’m sure he has some great stories, though. He lived through an interesting time at City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.