Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheers - full match player performance reviews are always welcome.

One of the bits that stood out during the match, and again in this video, is how positive he was when he won or received the ball, and the work he did to be in a position to do both. You can clearly see his first thought the vast majority of the time was “how can I get the ball to David or Kev right now.”

Although Burnley’s midfield didn’t play particularly well, Rodri’s performance actually made it look even worse than it was.

Cheers - full match player performance reviews are always welcome.

One of the bits that stood out during the match, and again in this video, is how positive he was when he won or received the ball, and the work he did to be in a position to do both. You can clearly see his first thought the vast majority of the time was “how can I get the ball to David or Kev right now.”

Although Burnley’s midfield didn’t play particularly well, Rodri’s performance actually made it look even worse than it was.
I reckon Pep+Artera did a bit of work with him after the Chelsea and Shakhtar games on this. In those games he didn’t have the confidence in himself to make forward passes. Bernardo Gundogan and deBruyne all had their arms in the air in frustration after not receiving forward passes from him in those games, the latter a few times.

The other night it was like a completely different mindset for him. And the big thing is, those first two forward passes he made were right on the mark (a bit like Jesus goals creating confidence in him) and you could see it gave him a new energy.

What I’m going to be interested to see is how he fairs against quick or good, or quick and good, midfields ongoing. Against Norwich in the first half he struggled (second half I think he realised he needed to do more and put more energy into his game to rise above their energy in midfield), and against Wolves I thought he struggled all game.

So what does he really have in his locker? Can he put in performances like the other night against teams with more energy and quality?

Let’s hope so!

I reckon Pep+Artera did a bit of work with him after the Chelsea and Shakhtar games on this. In those games he didn’t have the confidence in himself to make forward passes. Bernardo Gundogan and deBruyne all had their arms in the air in frustration after not receiving forward passes from him in those games, the latter a few times.

The other night it was like a completely different mindset for him. And the big thing is, those first two forward passes he made were right on the mark (a bit like Jesus goals creating confidence in him) and you could see it gave him a new energy.

What I’m going to be interested to see is how he fairs against quick or good, or quick and good, midfields ongoing. Against Norwich in the first half he struggled (second half I think he realised he needed to do more and put more energy into his game to rise above their energy in midfield), and against Wolves I thought he struggled all game.

So what does he really have in his locker? Can he put in performances like the other night against teams with more energy and quality?

Let’s hope so!
Oh, undoubtedly they have worked with him, especially when it comes to not only having the confidence to play those quick forward passes, but making it specifically clear that it is his role to do so (taking the second-guessing out of his decision-making).

And I agree with your general assessments of his Norwich (though, overall I think he played well) and Wolves games, but shouldn’t forget he was also near enough to the ‘Burnley level’ against Palace, Everton, Watford, Brighton, Spurs, and West Ham, which is impressive for a 23 year-old lad in a new team, system, league, and country. And I honestly think we would have beaten Atalanta away if Rodri had been able to play.

That makes me fairly confident he has it in his locker to be consistently this good.

It’s more than hope! :-)

Two games this week that I think shows us what type of player we have here. Plays Burnley, a team with no pace or ability to play through the middle of the park and completely dominates the game. Plays today against a team trying to pass and break quick and he really struggled. I am worried.

If Fernandinho is to remain at centre back, Rodri shouldn’t be starting against teams with dangerous players on the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.