#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did well,he'll never have the pace or the mobility to propel him into the realms of top class quality,but as a steady defensive midfielder he does his job well.His height and physicality are a great asset to our team,alongside the two centre halves we look much more assured/threatening on set pieces and when defending the high ball.

Yesterday was so frustrating with him.

Neat in possession and largely alright covering defensively, but he needs to start taking risks so he can actually contribute from midfield, else it's not enough. I'm guessing Pep has asked him to keep it simple, which is okay I guess, considering the fear of getting countered.

Few instances jump to mind instantly, Foden or Raheem making runs after a pass and him deciding to just go sideways or hold and go backwards. 2 were especially great opportunities to play a cross into Foden.

Really hope he improves that.

We lose the ball and he is useless amount of time he tried to win the ball back the opposition player just side stepped him and that’s him done with his speed.

I think he's just at that point now where any average performance by him will be seen as a shit one by his detractors and any decent performance will have those same people looking for the one thing he didn't get right in order to justify the criticism they wanted to make anyway.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have him in my first choice lineup right now because I'd rather use one of him or Gundogan at the base of midfield to accommodate Foden or Bernardo alongside De Bruyne and I think Ilkay just brings more on the offensive end.

He's still a young player and his confidence seems to be an issue. When he makes a poor pass or any other mistake you can see him getting irate at himself. He needs to learn that mistakes are always going to happen and just get on with it. God knows how many times Fernandinho has been caught in possession or made a sloppy pass leading directly to a chance. The difference, I think, is that Fern knows his own level and carries on as usual.

Two decent performances in succession now.

He tends to impress me more when he’s more adventurous with his passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.