Rodri Understudy

I still think the best option is to go in hard for Kimmich. Have him play right back most of the time, stepping inside into midfield alongside Rodri (with Akanji, Dias/Stones and Ake/Gvardiol making a 3). And he can fill in for Rodri when needed.
That for me makes more sense than looking for an understudy who is never going to be anything other than a significant downgrade on Rodri - and for that reason, will only very rarely be trusted to replace him anyway.

I still think the best option is to go in hard for Kimmich. Have him play right back most of the time, stepping inside into midfield alongside Rodri (with Akanji, Dias/Stones and Ake/Gvardiol making a 3). And he can fill in for Rodri when needed.
That for me makes more sense than looking for an understudy who is never going to be anything other than a significant downgrade on Rodri - and for that reason, will only very rarely be trusted to replace him anyway.
going 2-3 buildup would need decent wingers to hold that width but im not against it

Kimmich knows where we are if he wants it. At his age and stage of his career it's a tricky one for him.

I rate Kimmich, think he is a quality player... But doesn't this type of signing just smell of Casemiro or Varane at United?

He's achieved everything with Bayern... Won the lot... Same as Varane and Casemiro at Madrid...

Surely Bruno G at Newcastle would be the better option?

He's not really won anything in his career and is hungry for success. We would be getting a player with a mentality to really want to achieve everything he can for City. Would have a similar impact that Rice has had for Arsenal.

These big name signings always come with more risk. Schweinsteiger another one at United.

I'd like Kimmich if we can get him for a good price, but because he can play full back too and is very versatile.

Personally I'd love Kimmich and Bruno G, but if we opted for Kimmich over Bruno G, it wouldn't sit right with me.

I rate Kimmich, think he is a quality player... But doesn't this type of signing just smell of Casemiro or Varane at United?

He's achieved everything with Bayern... Won the lot... Same as Varane and Casemiro at Madrid...

Surely Bruno G at Newcastle would be the better option?

He's not really won anything in his career and is hungry for success. We would be getting a player with a mentality to really want to achieve everything he can for City. Would have a similar impact that Rice has had for Arsenal.

These big name signings always come with more risk. Schweinsteiger another one at United.

I'd like Kimmich if we can get him for a good price, but because he can play full back too and is very versatile.

Personally I'd love Kimmich and Bruno G, but if we opted for Kimmich over Bruno G, it wouldn't sit right with me.
All fair, but I don’t really see it as the same as Casemiro and Varane, who left a top club to join one that is no longer top level (in anything other than wages/salaries). It smacked of two players knowing they’d tipped over their peak, looking for a last, big pay day. Kimmich would be coming from a team that has just finished empty handed, to join one of the best, most ambitious clubs/teams in the world, and to work again with the best manager in the world. Don’t think he’d come in with that kind of attitude - and I’d have faith in our top brass to smell it out if it were the case.
I like Bruno, a d would be happy enough if we get him. But I’m just not sure he would improve us enormously? Whereas I think Kimmich’s versatility, coupled with his quality, would be a major asset.

All fair, but I don’t really see it as the same as Casemiro and Varane, who left a top club to join one that is no longer top level (in anything other than wages/salaries). It smacked of two players knowing they’d tipped over their peak, looking for a last, big pay day. Kimmich would be coming from a team that has just finished empty handed, to join one of the best, most ambitious clubs/teams in the world, and to work again with the best manager in the world. Don’t think he’d come in with that kind of attitude - and I’d have faith in our top brass to smell it out if it were the case.
I like Bruno, a d would be happy enough if we get him. But I’m just not sure he would improve us enormously? Whereas I think Kimmich’s versatility, coupled with his quality, would be a major asset.

I'd take both if we could, Kimmich simply for his versatility.

But if I could only have one, I'm taking Bruno G every day.

He's on an upward trajectory, Kimmich didn't have his best season. Shoehorned out to right back whilst they made space for a young kid Pavlovic. Think that says to me how he has been performing through the middle of the park.

Bruno G is literally the heartbeat of that Newcastle team and physically a much stronger player than Kimmich, particularly to play in the 6 when Rodri is not in the team (whether he's injured or being rested).

Is there a world where we do both Kimmich and Bruno G? Don’t think so

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.