Roger Daltrey: Rolling Stones a Mediocre Pub Band

Not gonna disagree with that at all. That said, The ‘Oo (who were kings of the world late 60s/ early 70s) haven’t been much better since Keith Moon died.
You know what he’s not wrong about? The internet bringing nothing but trouble!! :)

The Who is my favo(u)rite of the “big 4” bands and The Stones my least, but they were all great in their own ways.

And it’s nice that this collection of septuagenarians can still have some fun at each other’s expense.

They were/are vastly overrated and were helped by the hype they got in the british invasion of the mid 60s.

They were never an inspirational uk band to create new musical styles or inivations as the beatles, kinks, hollies etc were, more just a standard blues band with a lot of swagger, honestly cannot think of more than 10-12 song I like or would bother listening to.

They are all well to do upper middle class kids who marketed an image as working class heores who popularised sex, drugs and rock n roll and the epitome of good marketing of bad behaviour to make them seem edgy and anti-heroes.

Also they won't fuck off, so their longevity keeps them popular.

Last edited:
Daltrey also said he was a "hater of the internet," explaining: "I never thought any good would come of it, and I still don't think anything good's come of it. I think if we're not careful it's probably the end of our civilization."

You know what he’s not wrong about? The internet bringing nothing but trouble!! :)

The Who is my favo(u)rite of the “big 4” bands and The Stones my least, but they were all great in their own ways.

And it’s nice that this collection of septuagenarians can still have some fun at each other’s expense.
Daltrey is and always has been a king sized knob as his political 'thoughts' prove beyond doubt. Having seen both bands in the last 5 years I am pretty certain that the Rolling Stones piss all over The Who as a live performance. Daltrey in particular voice has gone and is a cumbersome relic behind the mike that he still insists on throwing in the air and dropping regularly.
Jagger and Richards on the other hand....

As far as legacy go, the Who made some good records but honestly I think the Stones shade that too.

The sinic in me says that these recent quotes on The Stones from McCartney and Daltrey are to keep the bands and their members in the public eye (think an old man's Oasis and Blur type scenario) as I don't really think that's what Daltrey actually believes of the Stones (got his book on a shelf ready to read, maybe it will touch on them in that). Does he?

Conversely, I think Townshend basically said that they all wanted to be The Stones back in the day (paraphrasing from memory) but hasn't liked a single thing that Zeppelin had done (again, really Pete not one?)...............

The Who
The Stones
Zeppelin
Who am I missing Foggy? ;-)

They were/are vastly overrated and were helped by the hype they got in the british invasion of the mid 60s.

They were never an inspirational uk band to create new musical styles or inivations as the beatles, kinks, hollies etc were, more just a standard blues band with a lot of swagger, honestly cannot think of more than 10-12 song I like or would bother listening to.

They are all well to do upper middle class kids who marketed an image as working class heores who popularised sex, drugs and rock n roll and the epitome of good marketing of bad behaviour to make them seem edgy and anti-heroes.

Also they won't fuck off, so their longevity keeps them popular.
I remember watching The Stones in the park and thinking how shite they were. Just like a pub band :)
And I remember Mick Taylor when he joined saying he couldn't believe how bad they were. He was used to playing with some very good muso's like Jon Hiseman, Tony Reeves, Dick Heckstall Smith etc. Top session guys.
They wrote some good toones though !!

I once read an article claiming the Stones made it acceptable for white American kids to like black blues music.
As for Who v Stones: The who had a wider musical range but the Stones were great at what they did.
Saw the Who at Belle Vue in 1975 when they were at their peak and the Stones at Maine Road in 1990.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.