"Role model" England captain Ferdinand.....?Give me a break!

A A

Anonymous

"Rio was a product of the successful West Ham youth academy and spent five years at the club before moving to Leeds United in 2000. Two years later, after a fantastic World Cup for England in 2002, Rio joined Man Utd for a transfer fee of over £30 million.

September, 1997 – Rio might be a rock of stability nowadays but in the early part of his career he repeatedly courted controversy. In 1997, following the news that he had been called up to the England squad, Rio went out to celebrate, got caught drink driving and was banned from making his debut against Moldova.

June, 2000 -Three years later and Rio made the headlines when, along with Frank Lampard and Kieron Dyer, he made a sex tape while on holiday in Ayia Napa. Said tape fell into the hands of the tabloids and the boys were condemned as the new breed of morally bankrupt, mega-rich, football stars.

October, 2003 – Another three years and another mistake. This time Rio “forgot” to attend a mandatory drug test which resulted in him being handed an 8 month ban and missing out on playing for England at Euro 2004."

Others have said the same,but seeing as how the press are judging the "morality" or otherwise of the England captain-has Terry ever been convicted of a criminal offence?
No.

Has Rio Ferdinand?
Yes.

What a pile of sanctimoneous,self-righteous shite.
I sit here and listen to Darren Lewis going on about "standards" and "role models" on talkshite-totally ignoring the facts.

Rio Ferdinand has been convicted for drink driving and "missing" a drug test.
Terry has been convicted of......nothing.Nada.Zip.
Everyone deserves a second chance-Ferdinand is an example of this.But holding him up as some kind of "moral example" of how an England captain should conduct himself is utterly ridiculous and totally non-sensical.

The hypocrisy and hand-wringing we've heard in the media this week is typically English,and it sickens me.

From an adulterer to a smack head, well done FA, you really out done yourself this time.

I was thinking the same...

Also how come Cole doing twice the speed limit hardly gets a mention?

Who could be captain and not have controversy around them in the past?

Its the state of the England team, I'm afraid. Do we have no morality in this country? The only "clean" potential captains I can think of are Barry and David James. Aside from Ferdinand's past indiscretions, he is not exactly guaranteed a starting place, on form and fitness. I think the role of captain is overhyped by the media anyway, I would just give it to one of the two I mentioned, and just let everyone get on with it.

Manci7y said:

Wasn't Cole also allegedly involved in an incident a few years ago involving a mobile telephone? I'm not talking about driving at the wheel here either.

Still don't know what all the fuss is about over Terry, how many people cheat on their partners or have affairs. You wouldn't normally get demoted at work for having an affair. Half the people passing judgement will have done much worse than Terry.

Well looking at the England squad I can't see too many who are scandal free and without baggage. Capello had no choice but to give it Ferdinand. If he had to canvass candidates again, it'll be too disruptive before the WC. He's focused on winning the World Cup.

Unknown_Genius said:
Its the state of the England team, I'm afraid. Do we have no morality in this country? The only "clean" potential captains I can think of are Barry and David James. Aside from Ferdinand's past indiscretions, he is not exactly guaranteed a starting place, on form and fitness. I think the role of captain is overhyped by the media anyway, I would just give it to one of the two I mentioned, and just let everyone get on with it.

He had an affair a few years back too.

pskilla said:
Manci7y said:

Wasn't Cole also allegedly involved in an incident a few years ago involving a mobile telephone? I'm not talking about driving at the wheel here either.

Still don't know what all the fuss is about over Terry, how many people cheat on their partners or have affairs. You wouldn't normally get demoted at work for having an affair. Half the people passing judgement will have done much worse than Terry.

In my job if you get caught having an affair it can get you sacked. If you have an affair with a fellow worker chances are you WILL be sacked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.