Roma away

Juan King said:
sgerlat said:
Juan King said:
I'm giving this one a wide berth. Went to Napoli and was very close to getting carved up, but for an unmarked police car pulling up & the copper drawing his handgun, we would have been fucked. One of the people with us walking back to the hotel did get stabbed.

This will be similar IMO. Middlesbrough & Spurs have played in Rome & had problems. I think when Boro were there Ultras turned up armed with axes & all kinds & attacked normal fans just eating their dinner. Judging by the article below people would be best to avoid drinking in this boozer as it seems to attract trouble.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/local-news/rome-violence-comes-no-surprise-3669063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/local ... se-3669063</a>

As already mentioned the police are quick to kick off too & don't mind wading in with batons. Not worth the hassle IMO.

I have always found the name "Drunken ship" for a pub brilliant.

Very central pub in Campo dei Fiori, hence I've ended up there many times, It's quite anonymous to my taste, you may wanted to avoid it for this reason, even though, during the weekend, there are many people outside drinking and having a nice chat, there's beer pong too, which never hurts if you're fond of. Quite expensive though, I'd rather go around the corner to a small place where you can get 12shots for €10, definitely the cheapest place you can find in the proximity. You get wasted and you don't spend much, then just drift along and have fun, it's all about the beauty of walking in the city centre not the pub in itself.

90% of the costumers in Drunken ship are tourists, I've never heard anyone speaking Italian over there, I'm not kidding. I have to admit I've seen a few bickers because of random guys trying their best to hook up with some Scandinavian chicks, who are quite popular in Rome, rightly so, they flirt with anyone who approaches them, so it may happen from time to time.
Since I've known the place for a long time and it's always the same I find it very hard to believe Boro's fans were beaten up randomly, since they're all tourists they must have weared a Jersey or a scarf to be recognized, something you would avoid in any city anyway, not just in Rome. Lazio or Roma's ultras are stupid/animal but they just don't haphazardly bust in a pub in Campo dei Fiori belting out "This is Sparta", you guys have a distorted view of Rome.

Just wear casual clothes, keep your eyes wide open and you'll be fine. You can sense it from a mile if there's something wrong going on, walk away and don't look back.

Carabinieri, I agree, they're the worst kind, they really enjoy beating the crap out of you.

Axes in a fight? This must be a joke, why not chain saw? It' not a jungle and I'm sure you won't go in the suburbs when you're here.

It's not a joke, see here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/mar/15/newsstory.sport5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... ory.sport5</a>

Text for people not wanting to click on the link

British police chiefs have appealed to Middlesbrough supporters not to seek revenge after three fans were stabbed during violent clashes with Roma's infamous 'Ultras' gang last night.

A 39-year-old man has undergone surgery and was still detained in hospital today with stab wounds to his back, although his injuries are not life-threatening, while an 18-year-old and a 31-year-old have been released after treatment. Ten other supporters were also treated for minor injuries after they were attacked by a group of hard-core Roma thugs - at least one of whom was wielding an axe - in and around the Drunken Ship bar in Campo Dei Fiori between 10.45pm and 11.15pm.

However, Superintendent Steve Swales, Cleveland police's commander on the Italian trip, appealed for calm ahead of tonight's Uefa Cup second-leg tie between Boro and Roma at the Stadio Olimpico. "People back in the UK will be listening to this, watching this during the course of the day. If they are in contact with relatives over here, we would appeal for calm," he said. "Whatever happens, we do not want anybody seeking any kind of retribution for this. We are here for a football match and football has to be the winner at the end of this, not the violence. I am appealing for calm, I am appealing for the Middlesbrough people just to take this in their stride, let us and let the Italian authorities deal with the matter."

The British Embassy in Rome confirmed five Italians were arrested in connection with the incident and were due to appear in court today. The injured men have not been named as police contact their relatives, but the most seriously hurt, who was travelling with his 11-year-old son, could be flown home later today.

Meanwhile, a drinking ban has been imposed in some of Rome's most popular piazzas and 300 police officers as well as 300 stewards will be on duty at tonight's match. The incident happened after a gang of Ultras, wearing masks and carrying knives, bottles and other weapons, struck as around 200 Boro fans were enjoying an evening's drinking. "A group of in excess of 30 Italian youths, described as Italian Ultras, came into the square," added Supt Swales. "They were a clearly well-organised group. They had an identified leader at their head - a gentleman who has been described to me as wearing a silver or shiny fireman's-type helmet and a bandana across his face with only his eyes visible.

"These people were carrying sticks, they had axes, we later discovered they had knives, they had firecrackers and paper firebombs. They came into the square and went to the Middlesbrough supporters who were drinking both inside and outside the Drunken Ship, and there the confrontation took place. The vast majority of the Middlesbrough supporters who were there are what we would describe as good, normal, shirt-wearing supporters of Middlesbrough, not hooligans, not people known for trouble. A lot of them were family groups with younger children, some with their wives."

Asked if any blame could be laid at the feet of the Boro fans, Supt Swales said: "I am absolutely satisfied that this has been wholly organised by the Ultras here in Roma." Another group of Ultras was discovered nearby and dispersed. The travelling fans had been warned of possible trouble before they set off for Italy after the club received a detailed briefing from police.

That's was the season they qualified at our expense because of Fowlers penalty miss!!

ell said:
Maccblue said:
ell said:
Flights and digs for £90 happy days! See you all in the drunken ship on Tuesday

Hope there's at least 4 of you??

Have you booked yet you tart? 3 of us out of Manchester and 3 out of Stanstead as it stands. Roma rang last night told me no more than 4

Nope after realising who is going eg you Bezz Liam I will be questioning my sexuality for a while

why is italy the shape of a boot?

because you cant get that much shit into a shoe
I`d rather go to kinshasa

Juan King said:
sgerlat said:
Juan King said:
I'm giving this one a wide berth. Went to Napoli and was very close to getting carved up, but for an unmarked police car pulling up & the copper drawing his handgun, we would have been fucked. One of the people with us walking back to the hotel did get stabbed.

This will be similar IMO. Middlesbrough & Spurs have played in Rome & had problems. I think when Boro were there Ultras turned up armed with axes & all kinds & attacked normal fans just eating their dinner. Judging by the article below people would be best to avoid drinking in this boozer as it seems to attract trouble.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/local-news/rome-violence-comes-no-surprise-3669063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/local ... se-3669063</a>

As already mentioned the police are quick to kick off too & don't mind wading in with batons. Not worth the hassle IMO.

I have always found the name "Drunken ship" for a pub brilliant.

Very central pub in Campo dei Fiori, hence I've ended up there many times, It's quite anonymous to my taste, you may wanted to avoid it for this reason, even though, during the weekend, there are many people outside drinking and having a nice chat, there's beer pong too, which never hurts if you're fond of. Quite expensive though, I'd rather go around the corner to a small place where you can get 12shots for €10, definitely the cheapest place you can find in the proximity. You get wasted and you don't spend much, then just drift along and have fun, it's all about the beauty of walking in the city centre not the pub in itself.

90% of the costumers in Drunken ship are tourists, I've never heard anyone speaking Italian over there, I'm not kidding. I have to admit I've seen a few bickers because of random guys trying their best to hook up with some Scandinavian chicks, who are quite popular in Rome, rightly so, they flirt with anyone who approaches them, so it may happen from time to time.
Since I've known the place for a long time and it's always the same I find it very hard to believe Boro's fans were beaten up randomly, since they're all tourists they must have weared a Jersey or a scarf to be recognized, something you would avoid in any city anyway, not just in Rome. Lazio or Roma's ultras are stupid/animal but they just don't haphazardly bust in a pub in Campo dei Fiori belting out "This is Sparta", you guys have a distorted view of Rome.

Just wear casual clothes, keep your eyes wide open and you'll be fine. You can sense it from a mile if there's something wrong going on, walk away and don't look back.

Carabinieri, I agree, they're the worst kind, they really enjoy beating the crap out of you.

Axes in a fight? This must be a joke, why not chain saw? It' not a jungle and I'm sure you won't go in the suburbs when you're here.

It's not a joke, see here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/mar/15/newsstory.sport5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... ory.sport5</a>

Text for people not wanting to click on the link

British police chiefs have appealed to Middlesbrough supporters not to seek revenge after three fans were stabbed during violent clashes with Roma's infamous 'Ultras' gang last night.

A 39-year-old man has undergone surgery and was still detained in hospital today with stab wounds to his back, although his injuries are not life-threatening, while an 18-year-old and a 31-year-old have been released after treatment. Ten other supporters were also treated for minor injuries after they were attacked by a group of hard-core Roma thugs - at least one of whom was wielding an axe - in and around the Drunken Ship bar in Campo Dei Fiori between 10.45pm and 11.15pm.

However, Superintendent Steve Swales, Cleveland police's commander on the Italian trip, appealed for calm ahead of tonight's Uefa Cup second-leg tie between Boro and Roma at the Stadio Olimpico. "People back in the UK will be listening to this, watching this during the course of the day. If they are in contact with relatives over here, we would appeal for calm," he said. "Whatever happens, we do not want anybody seeking any kind of retribution for this. We are here for a football match and football has to be the winner at the end of this, not the violence. I am appealing for calm, I am appealing for the Middlesbrough people just to take this in their stride, let us and let the Italian authorities deal with the matter."

The British Embassy in Rome confirmed five Italians were arrested in connection with the incident and were due to appear in court today. The injured men have not been named as police contact their relatives, but the most seriously hurt, who was travelling with his 11-year-old son, could be flown home later today.

Meanwhile, a drinking ban has been imposed in some of Rome's most popular piazzas and 300 police officers as well as 300 stewards will be on duty at tonight's match. The incident happened after a gang of Ultras, wearing masks and carrying knives, bottles and other weapons, struck as around 200 Boro fans were enjoying an evening's drinking. "A group of in excess of 30 Italian youths, described as Italian Ultras, came into the square," added Supt Swales. "They were a clearly well-organised group. They had an identified leader at their head - a gentleman who has been described to me as wearing a silver or shiny fireman's-type helmet and a bandana across his face with only his eyes visible.

"These people were carrying sticks, they had axes, we later discovered they had knives, they had firecrackers and paper firebombs. They came into the square and went to the Middlesbrough supporters who were drinking both inside and outside the Drunken Ship, and there the confrontation took place. The vast majority of the Middlesbrough supporters who were there are what we would describe as good, normal, shirt-wearing supporters of Middlesbrough, not hooligans, not people known for trouble. A lot of them were family groups with younger children, some with their wives."

Asked if any blame could be laid at the feet of the Boro fans, Supt Swales said: "I am absolutely satisfied that this has been wholly organised by the Ultras here in Roma." Another group of Ultras was discovered nearby and dispersed. The travelling fans had been warned of possible trouble before they set off for Italy after the club received a detailed briefing from police.

I'm at your side mate, I've said before they're animal and they should all be in jail for life, I'm not implying the fact didn't happen. I'm just saying that out of 200 people at least one of them must have weared some sort of gadget, either a scarf or a Jersey, something recognizable, something that identified them as Boro fans, otherwise nothing would have happened, which doesn't mean I'm blaming them or defending the ultras, what happened isn't normal by any mean.

There are thousands of tourists everyday in Rome. Asians, Americans, from either north or south, Scandinavians, Germans, Australians, Arabs, many English people as well, they're everwhere, you hardly find any locals in the city centre, a Roman is a mirage.

I'm quite good a recognizing people's nationalities just from a quick glimpse of their faces, having travelled a bit I can usually tell where someone is from, but there's no way you could tell, just looking at him, if someone is a Boro fan. I don't know why some ultras would attack him if they hadn't recognized him first.

Anyway, in the last few years, the supervision has been intensified a lot, there are heavy security measures now. Police officers are all over the place, they're five of them 24/7 in a jeep in front of Drunken Ship bar just to make an example, and they randomly check your IDs and bags just to be sure safety is guaranteed. They stopped a friend of mine the other day just because his beard was too long and they thought he was some kind of terrorist, sometimes they could be really annoying too.

Nothing has happened in recent days, 2006 was a long time ago, every riot is usually politics-related, taxes are too high and people usually protest against the government like in any other country, but this has nothing to do with football. If Lazio or Roma's Ultras stab you in the back is because they've somehow identified you as their "enemy", they don't stab old ladies or kids just because they come from England.

City fans got attacked in moscow
city fans got attacked in madrid and got attacked by the police
city fans got attacked in poznan
city fans got attacked at wembley in the semi
city fans got attacked at liverpool last season

unfortuanately these things happen
i had a fantastic time in Napoli, as did loads of blues
i had a fantastic time at all of above...as did loads of blues
city v roma - whats not to like....cant wait myself

bainy said:

Bloody hell , I thought the Scoucers were the victims!!

Chrisja1000 said:
bainy said:

Bloody hell , I thought the Scoucers were the victims!!

I'm going to Roma
Light me a candle for fucks sake

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.