Ronald Waterreus

jamesha

Team supported
Manchester City
Anyone remember this guy - he was a keeper that we signed from PSV and was with us for the 2004-2005 season before moving on to Rangers.

He was mentioned on Nedum's podcast where Nedum was talking to Bolo Zenden (not listened to it all yet but Zenden is a good talker and played at some big clubs).

Anyway they mentioned that Ronald was very two footed and encouraged defenders to pass him the ball which seems very progressive for the time.

He did not make a league appearance for us - anyone remember him?

I remember him warming up a bit in the early Etihad days. He replaced the legendary Geert de Vlieger as our number 2 before joining Rangers later on where he actually played a bit.

I remember him warming up a bit in the early Etihad days. He replaced the legendary Geert de Vlieger as our number 2 before joining Rangers later on where he actually played a bit.
As far as I remember we signed De Vliger who was Belgium's keeper at the time. De Vliger then picked up a bad injury pre season and never made the team for us. Watereus was a Dutch international, think he played a couple of cup games. James was no 1 at the time and I am assuming Weaver was still with us at the time.

Well worth listening to the Nicky Weaver podcast on under the cosh, Ronnie gets a mention, not for his footballing ability, but his dislike for David James.

As far as I remember we signed De Vliger who was Belgium's keeper at the time. De Vliger then picked up a bad injury pre season and never made the team for us. Watereus was a Dutch international, think he played a couple of cup games. James was no 1 at the time and I am assuming Weaver was still with us at the time.
Yeah you are right. Weaver went years at the club without playing (with injury) until that Middlesbrough game under Pearce. We went through a huge amount of keepers in that time.

Seaman came in and got injured meaning Kevin Stuhr Ellegaard played a game (think it was against Pompey?) but he got injured too. So we signed David James but he was cup tied so we signed Arnie Arason on an emergency loan for the Spurs comeback game in the Fa cup.

He only started goal keeping as an adult and was converted from a volleyball player which had been his main sport.

Bought him with the Wanchope money as we couldn't risk another season without a decent back up keeper.

I think after he went to Rangers he gave an interview where he said the problem at City was for the most part the players and manger would settle for not losing even when we were at home and the only time we'd really go for wins was after a few bad results when the fans and press would be giving the team some stick.

Looking back it sounds pretty accurate. Most seasons we'd pick up wins against one or two of the Sky 4 but throw in many other dismal efforts to balance those results out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.