Roque Santa Cruz [merged]

Re: Santa Cruz, do we need him?

Daily Mirror (Not that I believe the Mirror)

"Hughes left in Cruz control"

David Maddock writes: Manchester City are close to completing their second major deal of the summer - a £17million swoop for long-time target Roque Santa Cruz.

Negotiations with Blackburn are at an advanced stage over the Paraguay striker, and an agreement is expected to be reached within the next 24 hours.

Rovers have held out for the £20m that the centre forward has as a release clause in his contract, but City have so far offered only £15m.

But with Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce now accepting that he will lose Santa Cruz, after resisting the sale during the January transfer window, both clubs are prepared to shift to meet in the middle of their valuations.

The former Bayern Munich striker has been a top target for City boss Mark Hughes since he arrived from Ewood Park, and will be his second signing of the summer after his capture of Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

And he is still confident of making it a hat-trick of deals by the end of the week with City still in prime position for Argentina striker Carlos Tevez.

After speaking to Sir Alex Ferguson, the forward indicated that he wanted to stay at Manchester United. But United are increasingly frustrated with the player's advisors and the manner in which they are dragging out talks.

Hughes is also pursuing Everton defender Joleon Lescott. Everton have lost out in their bid to sign £5m rated Sheffield United defender Kyle Naughton.

I'd be chuffed if we had RSC and Tevez by the end of the week.

I think we do need him. The price tag is pretty steep but he's the exact type of striker we were missing last season.

Tevez yes. What's the chances of him coming to us? The longer it drags on for, the more I think he'll sign for utd

Not really bothered either way. He's not been the most prolific goal scorer.

In a 10yr career (so far) he has only reached double figures twice, and is averaging 8 goals a season (including cup games).

Is that really worth £15mil ??

With his injury record I would think it will be a structured deal, based on appearances etc.
I'd rather have Crouch, he a consistant scorer at Prem level, seems a good lad and doesn't take himself to seriously.
Also, with him, Tevez and Bellamy in the front line we'd have the a forward line that looked like the "Thriller" video, perhaps encouraging Ribery and Lescott. :-)

Yeah I think he can do a decent job for us. Better than what we have. Obviously Id rather have certain other players but right now I think hell be a good signing.

I would welcome the arrival of RSC as I think he is a quality front line player, just what we are after.

Everyone keeps harping on about injuries..... as said in an earlier post, I don't think he was was injured for a proportion of last season, I think a combination of him a Big Sham not getting on after January's transfer window saga, and to keep him fit for a guaranteed sale in the summer.

At the end of the day, we don't want people on his back back as soon as he signs (if he signs) with all negativity surrounding him, like what has happened to Jo. He has proven last season (under hughes) he can be very prolific in the premiership and I anticpate if he signs to be prolific for us too.

RSC is no better that what we have already if you consider he will be injured most of the time (which he will)

He career record is 7 goals a season. I cant believe people are happy for us to sign a player with such a poor record for so much money.

Its a real shame about Tevez, hes almost certainly staying with the RAGS unfortunately.

Do we fuck need him, there are a hundred better strikers out there. One good season in his entire career and a crock to boot. Obviously if he can stay fit and re-capture that form from last season then he'll be a good squad player but to be honest I'd start Caicedo in front of him on current form. The sad thing is our fans are so desperate for us to sign players they will accept second best and that's not good enough for where we want to go and with the money we have. I think we will sign other players as well, ie Tevez/Eto'o but if we were to go into the season with Bellamy/RSC as our first choice forwards I would genuinely be worried we wouldn't finish top 6; Not on ability but injuries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.