Ross Barkley

The point i made re evertons finances being secure were in the context of a sizeable profit in year 1 of a 3 year tv deal with the likelihood of the next deal being even larger. Current wages are 57% of turnover and net debt is £28m.

The decision to sell will be a football one not forced by the banks - if you bid enough for the lad he'll go - it'll just be interesting to see what sort of price you'll go up to

In my opinion the kid needs to stay at Everton till he's too good for them. A bit like Sterling at Liverpool. If they want 40-50mil for him now then how much more can they want when he improves? Essentially if we bought him now then we'd be mostly be paying for potential right? Once he gets that consistency I'd happily pay 40 - 50mil.

BigOscar said:
MeatHunterrr said:
BigOscar said:
All very well slagging off Everton's accounts, but I entirely agree with the guys actual point, he's nowhere near good enough to displace Silva as our best number 10, so it would be very odd for us to spend a fortune on him to either have him sat on the bench, or force our best player to play out of position in order to play a signigficantly inferior player in his position.

I'd far rather we spent that amount of money on the positions we are weak in, rather than blow it on someone we really don't need. I'd rather have a £40m winger (or even two £20m wingers), enabling us to play Silva in the middle, than a £40m Ross Barkley, forcing us to play Silva as a winger. Either that or spend the money on a world class replacement for Yaya in CM. For me, number 10 is pretty much the last position we need to spend a fortune, given that most of the time we don't even play with one, then if we do then we already have the best in the world.
But we have only 2 English players. Milner and Hart, surely we need more. Lampard will leave soon. Milner has yet to be even sign extension.

And I prefer we buy English players who are good enough to make some kind of impact, not the likes of Scott Sinclair etc. garbage.
I don't care about these HG quotas, there are far easier ways around them than wasting all our money on someone we don't need just for their nationality. We could just as easily dump Willy for a HG backup and actually buy the best player available instead of the best homegrown player available.

We can have 18 foreign players, that's more than enough if we plan properly. Our starting 11 shouldn't pay any attention at all to the quota imo, we should be aiming to get the best possible team, then look at the best way to then fill out the squad with the places left. If a HG player is good enough for our first team, then that's a bonus, but we shouldn't be spending huge money on people who aren't good enough, just because they are homegrown.

Agreed. Our success will be dictated by the success of our academy. That is where our HG quotas will get filled 4 years from now. We aren't there yet but we need to keep playing the long game. Buying English for the sake of HG is bad business. Continue putting out 20-22 man squads with a number of youngsters under 21 filling it out. In time those youngsters will turn 22 and we can fill out our squad to 25. This is the vision that the club has laid out. We need to be patient.

PSam1 said:
In my opinion the kid needs to stay at Everton till he's too good for them. A bit like Sterling at Liverpool. If they want 40-50mil for him now then how much more can they want when he improves? Essentially if we bought him now then we'd be mostly be paying for potential right? Once he gets that consistency I'd happily pay 40 - 50mil.

I agree.

As an England fan I would rather see these lads develop into proper footballers whilst being in stable situations where they know they are guaranteed to play with the aim of developing further.

Unless Barkley or Sterling would be coming to play around 35-40 games a season for us from the off I wouldn't be paying the fees being branded about for them.

£30m+ is a lot for raw potential.

It's about time we started giving our own starlets a chance. Seriously if anyone believes Barkley offers more going forward than Pozo or is a better more athletic midfielder than Fofana to the extent that £50m+ needs to be spent then I'm glad your not working for me!

I almost believe that a policy exists where the expense of buying an overhyped youngster cab be justified to such an extent by media and commercial contracts that the player is bought for long term financial gain rather than football reasons!

Latics Fan SJK said:
Along with Reus, I can see Chelsea going in for Barkley. The potential to be their new Lampard.

Fabregas-Matic
Reus-Barkley-Hazard

Not bad.

If Loftus-Cheek develops into the player everyone hopes he will then they won't need Barkley.

MaineRoadBlue said:
It's about time we started giving our own starlets a chance. Seriously if anyone believes Barkley offers more going forward than Pozo or is a better more athletic midfielder than Fofana to the extent that £50m+ needs to be spent then I'm glad your not working for me!

I almost believe that a policy exists where the expense of buying an overhyped youngster cab be justified to such an extent by media and commercial contracts that the player is bought for long term financial gain rather than football reasons!

Only almost? ;)

Latics Fan SJK said:
Along with Reus, I can see Chelsea going in for Barkley. The potential to be their new Lampard.

Fabregas-Matic
Reus-Barkley-Hazard

Not bad.

Just to think they're only 70 million away from having that team. With chelsea possibly selling schurlle, I can see them going all out for reus.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.