Ross Barkley

Dubai Blue said:
If Barkley wasn't English, very few of us would have even heard of him. That's how little impact he's had on the footballing world in real terms.

Talk of anything over 30m is ludicrous and a risk that I wouldn't want to see City taking in these times of FFP bollocks. The rags can afford to take a wild punt on potential at 45m+; I'm not sure we can.

In a world where people base their opinions on footballers due to their scores on Fifa then that is not exactly true.
People rave about Pogba on here but how many of those that are citing paying 40+ million for Pogba have actually seen him play 20+ matches? I have certainly not but in the matches I have seen him play, he has shown some promising moments but also a lot of inconsistency. You can also add that Pogba is playing for head and shoulders the best team in Italy, surrounded by quality players in what is a pretty poor league. Would Pogba have stood out in Evertons team to the extent Barkley has?

I agree with people saying we should go for Koke and pay full whack as he looks a fantastic player. But we need a dynamic and marauding midfielder as well to compliment an orchestrator. I reckon we would probably get Barkley for less than Pogba and it makes more sense to go Barkley (although due to his United connections he may well be considered home grown and someone will correct me).

I was pretty damning of Barkleys form earlier in this thread and said at that time Harry Kane looked to have just as much potential. But I have also seen Barkley play fantastic against us in the flesh and he looks a super player. People keep dismissing him because he is English and are writing him off because he has struggled a bit after coming back from injury.

I for one would be glad to see Barkley here. Surrounded by better players with us then he could flourish. There is no way we are getting him for less than 30 million and I think it would be a mistake to allow one of our direct competitors to buy him while we have the chance.

bobmcfc said:
With Rooney it was guaranteed. This lad has so much more to prove so Id say Rammys suggestion of a flat fee of 25m then everything else on performance such as goals/assists. Not nesessarily on appearances because that doesn't always gauge ability. We have to protect ourselves from overspending because we are governed by FFP now and can't just throw money around anymore. Reason and measure is the way we play from now on

I've said it before but it's worth repeating. We have a serious issue with homegrown players and if we don't manage to keep hold of Milner that problem will become chronic. Anyone who thinks we're going to promote three lads from the EDS into the first team next season is living in cloud cuckoo land. We need minimum of 2 English players who are as close to our best XI as is humanly possible. Barkley is one of only two or three players who fit that criteria. That means in the greater scheme of things his fee will be irrelevant to City - what will matter is whether he's good enough, and if they feel he is, which by the sounds of things they do think he is, then they'll sign him whether it's for 20 million or 40 million.

Also, with regards Pogba and Koke, are people seriously suggesting that both those players are ready and willing to come to City this summer and that Juve and Athletico are going to make it easy for us? And what sort of packages are we talking for each player. They'll both want to be in our highest earner bracket and will both cost in excess of 50 million pounds.

Mister Appointment said:
bobmcfc said:
With Rooney it was guaranteed. This lad has so much more to prove so Id say Rammys suggestion of a flat fee of 25m then everything else on performance such as goals/assists. Not nesessarily on appearances because that doesn't always gauge ability. We have to protect ourselves from overspending because we are governed by FFP now and can't just throw money around anymore. Reason and measure is the way we play from now on

I've said it before but it's worth repeating. We have a serious issue with homegrown players and if we don't manage to keep hold of Milner that problem will become chronic. Anyone who thinks we're going to promote three lads from the EDS into the first team next season is living in cloud cuckoo land. We need minimum of 2 English players who are as close to our best XI as is humanly possible. Barkley is one of only two or three players who fit that criteria. That means in the greater scheme of things his fee will be irrelevant to City - what will matter is whether he's good enough, and if they feel he is, which by the sounds of things they do think he is, then they'll sign him whether it's for 20 million or 40 million.

Also, with regards Pogba and Koke, are people seriously suggesting that both those players are ready and willing to come to City this summer and that Juve and Athletico are going to make it easy for us? And what sort of packages are we talking for each player. They'll both want to be in our highest earner bracket and will both cost in excess of 50 million pounds.

I have no idea about Koke and Pogba so can't comment but I don't think we should just throw silly money around because he's English and fits the homegrown criteria. In recent times we have gone after Rodwell who was once seen as the next english talent and Sinclair ! I think Barkley needs time to establish before everyone gets giddy. Let's see if he's the real deal before we go in with 50m bids. Let the lad grow !

bobmcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
bobmcfc said:

I have no idea about Koke and Pogba so can't comment but I don't think we should just throw silly money around because he's English and fits the homegrown criteria. In recent times we have gone after Rodwell who was once seen as the next english talent and Sinclair ! I think Barkley needs time to establish before everyone gets giddy. Let's see if he's the real deal before we go in with 50m bids. Let the lad grow !

Letting him grow would be silly though. If the powers that be think he is good enough then get him integrated into the squad asap. Why would you want him to grow with Leon Osman when he could grow with David Silva?

bobmcfc said:
I don't think we should just throw silly money around because he's English and fits the homegrown criteria. In recent times we have gone after Rodwell who was once seen as the next english talent and Sinclair ! I think Barkley needs time to establish before everyone gets giddy. Let's see if he's the real deal before we go in with 50m bids. Let the lad grow !

I think it's precisely because he's English and fits the homegrown criteria that we will have to throw silly money at Everton. It's a reality we can't escape. We currently have three "English" players in the side. Milner, Clichy, and Hart. If Milner leaves then we're down to two. Baring in mind that currently none of our EDS players are anywhere near the level required to play for us regularly, then the reality is unless we intend to go into next season with a squad of 16 senior players, then we're going to have to buy some English ones.

Sinclair and Rodwell aren't in the same league as Barkley, which is why they both cost relatively little whilst Barkley will cost big money.

Mister Appointment said:
bobmcfc said:
I don't think we should just throw silly money around because he's English and fits the homegrown criteria. In recent times we have gone after Rodwell who was once seen as the next english talent and Sinclair ! I think Barkley needs time to establish before everyone gets giddy. Let's see if he's the real deal before we go in with 50m bids. Let the lad grow !

I think it's precisely because he's English and fits the homegrown criteria that we will have to throw silly money at Everton. It's a reality we can't escape. We currently have three "English" players in the side. Milner, Clichy, and Hart. If Milner leaves then we're down to two. Baring in mind that currently none of our EDS players are anywhere near the level required to play for us regularly, then the reality is unless we intend to go into next season with a squad of 16 senior players, then we're going to have to buy some English ones.

Sinclair and Rodwell aren't in the same league as Barkley, which is why they both cost relatively little whilst Barkley will cost big money.
If he's of the level we require then I'm sure city will look to do a deal but we must not discount our own youth system and must surely start tapping into its resources and trusting it. Harry Kane is a prime example of letting a player develops slowly, putting him on the pitch and giving him time.

bobmcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
bobmcfc said:

If he's of the level we require then I'm sure city will look to do a deal but we must not discount our own youth system and must surely start tapping into its resources and trusting it. Harry Kane is a prime example of letting a player develops slowly, putting him on the pitch and giving him time.

I'm not saying we should discount our youth system, quite the opposite. I agree that we need to let players develop slowly - but Barkley is currently playing Premier League football regularly, and did so last season too. He's miles ahead of anyone in our EDS in terms of both quality and experience.

Also, the main catalyst for this deal isn't that Barkley's English, it's that he's good enough. The fact he's English in this instance is why although he's part of a group of players who are good enough, he's the one we'll plump for.

I'm of the opinion that this one needn't be rushed. I think we can gain an advantage on this deal if Everton finish badly which is looking likely.

bobmcfc said:
I'm of the opinion that this one needn't be rushed. I think we can gain an advantage on this deal if Everton finish badly which is looking likely.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think it'll happen in the summer. I don't see Everton selling now unless the rumours are true that Martinez has completely lost the dressing room. Either way I'll be delighted if/when we get him. I'm genuinely concerned about the Milner situation, and what the knock on effect will be with regards our homegrown quota. Barkley slots into the space that Lampard will leave IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.