Ross Barkley

Mister Appointment said:
bobmcfc said:
I'm of the opinion that this one needn't be rushed. I think we can gain an advantage on this deal if Everton finish badly which is looking likely.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think it'll happen in the summer. I don't see Everton selling now unless the rumours are true that Martinez has completely lost the dressing room. Either way I'll be delighted if/when we get him. I'm genuinely concerned about the Milner situation, and what the knock on effect will be with regards our homegrown quota. Barkley slots into the space that Lampard will leave IMO.
I wouldn't worry about Milner because whatever happens the club will sort it. It's his choice and there is very little we can do about it.

Barkley is the equivalent of the seasons Harry Kane. A promising English youngster who has had a good season. Fees being banded around of £30+ million are ridiculous. You can also bet your last dollar that next season will bring up another promising English youngster.

He has a lot to prove before being close to that fee. The odd brilliant performance won't change that, he needs consistancy something which he isnt.

I'm all in favour of getting English players but not at the expense of players who will improve us. Both Koke and Pogba are leagues ahead of Barkley. They have both played leading roles for Championship winning teams which justifies their fees.

If we need English players that badly then there are squad roles which they can take up. Boyata, Sagna, Sinclair and Nastasic can all be replaced with better English equivalents.

Also where would Barkley play? He plays behind the striker which is Silva and Nasri's best position. Getting him to replace Toure would be a monumental fail.

city91 said:
Barkley is the equivalent of the seasons Harry Kane. A promising English youngster who has had a good season. Fees being banded around of £30+ million are ridiculous. You can also bet your last dollar that next season will bring up another promising English youngster.

He has a lot to prove before being close to that fee. The odd brilliant performance won't change that, he needs consistancy something which he isnt.

I'm all in favour of getting English players but not at the expense of players who will improve us. Both Koke and Pogba are leagues ahead of Barkley. They have both played leading roles for Championship winning teams which justifies their fees.

If we need English players that badly then there are squad roles which they can take up. Boyata, Sagna, Sinclair and Nastasic can all be replaced with better English equivalents.

Also where would Barkley play? He plays behind the striker which is Silva and Nasri's best position. Getting him to replace Toure would be a monumental fail.

We need two players to replace Yaya because of the roles he fills for us and will cost us 70 million.
How much do you think better English equivalents of those 4 players you mentioned are going to cost? Do you want to spend 30 million on players to just fill the squad and will never play? Or would you rather spend the 30 million on one of Englands brightest talents who could make an impression in the 1st team?

Nightmare Walking said:
city91 said:

We need two players to replace Yaya because of the roles he fills for us and will cost us 70 million.
How much do you think better English equivalents of those 4 players you mentioned are going to cost? Do you want to spend 30 million on players to just fill the squad and will never play? Or would you rather spend the 30 million on one of Englands brightest talents who could make an impression in the 1st team?

We don't need two players to replace Yaya. We either go all out for Pogba who at present looks like the only player in the world capable of replacing Yaya or change our tactics.

Barkley would add something to our team but not enough to justify his price tag. If we wanted an English player then Sterling would offer much more. Unfortunately for Barkley he occupies the position in which we have strength in depth. Silva, Nasri and Jovetic can all play the number 10 role.

And I'm not advocating that we should go out and spend £30 million on squad players. However we can be more efficient in out transfers. There are players available who are home grown who have moved to other clubs for low fees who would add something to our team.

I think we should try and get him. He is a great young talent, and still has a lot of potential. He's English as well which would help us with FFP. We should go for a striker first but Barkley should be bought given that Nasri regularly plays on the left and Silva won't be available for every match.

city91 said:
Nightmare Walking said:
city91 said:

We don't need two players to replace Yaya. We either go all out for Pogba who at present looks like the only player in the world capable of replacing Yaya or change our tactics.

Barkley would add something to our team but not enough to justify his price tag. If we wanted an English player then Sterling would offer much more. Unfortunately for Barkley he occupies the position in which we have strength in depth. Silva, Nasri and Jovetic can all play the number 10 role.

And I'm not advocating that we should go out and spend £30 million on squad players. However we can be more efficient in out transfers. There are players available who are home grown who have moved to other clubs for low fees who would add something to our team.

From what I have seen Pogba looks more like a box to box midfielder where as Yaya is predominantly the man who dictates play. He tends to be the pivot point who receives the ball and then creates space to distribute the ball and creates attacks. He is also able to produce the long range pass or killer through ball. On top of that he is then able to go on barn storming runs while out muscling the opposition and has the end product either inside or outside the box.
From what I have seen of Pogba he is nothing like that, he seems to be a player more in the Fernandinho mould but with added quality.

Nightmare Walking said:
city91 said:
Nightmare Walking said:

From what I have seen Pogba looks more like a box to box midfielder where as Yaya is predominantly the man who dictates play. He tends to be the pivot point who receives the ball and then creates space to distribute the ball and creates attacks. He is also able to produce the long range pass or killer through ball. On top of that he is then able to go on barn storming runs while out muscling the opposition and has the end product either inside or outside the box.
From what I have seen of Pogba he is nothing like that, he seems to be a player more in the Fernandinho mould but with added quality.

Which is exactly what we need as a replacement.

Move Silva centrally and let him dictate the game and add a top class winger which will hopefully be on the agenda regardless of whether Yaya stays.

----------- Pogba ----------- Fernandinho ------------
Navas ------------- Silva ------------------ Sterling/ Nasri
----------------------- Kun ------------------------------------

That is much more balanced than a side with Barkley in.

city91 said:
Nightmare Walking said:
city91 said:

Which is exactly what we need as a replacement.

Move Silva centrally and let him dictate the game and add a top class winger which will hopefully be on the agenda regardless of whether Yaya stays.

----------- Pogba ----------- Fernandinho ------------
Navas ------------- Silva ------------------ Sterling/ Nasri

That is much more balanced than a side with Barkley in.

----------- Koke ----------- Fernandinho ------------
Nasri ------------- Barkley ------------------ Silva

Bluemanc100 said:
SebastianBlue said:
Robbo. said:
thats my point..Barkley will cost us a hell of a lot more than 15/20 Mill

I think we may be confused with each other's points.

My point is that it is a very different situation. We hadn't just gone down and SWP was still playing well. Those two things alone will put Everton in a poor negotiation position (if it happens).

SWP left on the day we played Macc pre-season

He left in full kit and looked gutted

Further confirms my point that it would be a very different situation.

If we go in for him now we would need to offer 35 or 40 million.

After they are relegated (and he continues the relative poor form) everyone will be offering 15 or 20. Everton will be in a very weak position, especially in comparison to last summer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.