Ross Barkley

Scores a cracking goal against us last season and is valued at £40mil+ where as he is mostly likely worth £15-20mill tops typically overpriced as he's English...

He's a good player, but if we have to pay about £40 million for him then we're better off looking elsewhere and paying a bit more for an even better player, Pogba for example.

He seems to thrive in games where Everton are defending and he can use his power and drive to propel them forward on the break. We rarely find ourselves in that situation, and I cannot see him having the guile to unlock packed defences, so at the reported price we would be taking quite a risk.

LoveCity said:
If I was throwing out £40m I'd much rather it go on Sterling than Barkley. Sterling delivers far more and has already shown signs of handling high pressure situations, like when they played us. But I think we can produce footballers a lot more suited to our style than Barkley, who seems to lack some basic footballing intelligence that is so vital if you want to play for City.

Youre bang on for me,splashing the cash on young English talent,its Sterling all day.He has greater ability and its the type we are short on.

Midfield alternative,i'd still be looking at Koke.

BlueDeadHead said:
g180aj said:
I don't see why we couldn't aim to sign Pogba, Barkley, Draxler and Koke;
--------------Barkley----Pogba----------
Koke-----------silva-------------Draxler
----------------------Aguero----------------
A lot of our width comes from the fullbacks anyway so it makes sense to me, also Koke plays more as a wide attacking mid for athletico.

Christ that is a lot of money. The days of 150 million pound windows are over.

Pogba - 50
Barkley - 40
Draxler - 25
Koke - 40
Ricardo Rodriguez instead of Barkley and we're talking.

kun said:
BlueDeadHead said:
g180aj said:
I don't see why we couldn't aim to sign Pogba, Barkley, Draxler and Koke;
--------------Barkley----Pogba----------
Koke-----------silva-------------Draxler
----------------------Aguero----------------
A lot of our width comes from the fullbacks anyway so it makes sense to me, also Koke plays more as a wide attacking mid for athletico.

Christ that is a lot of money. The days of 150 million pound windows are over.

Pogba - 50
Barkley - 40
Draxler - 25
Koke - 40
Ricardo Rodriguez instead of Barkley and we're talking.

Throw in Messi and this could have legs.

LoveCity said:
nobody can eat fifty eggs said:
LoveCity said:
I don't get it. I watched him again tonight and again all I saw was lots of running, some skill, but zero intelligence or end product. He lost the ball twice to set up dangerous West Ham counter attacks. He's worth no more than maybe £10m-£15m because he's all raw talent and one of our most promising young attacking midfielders probably produce similar end product (Barkley has 1 goal and 1 assist this season). He looks dangerous but isn't actually that dangerous most of the time because he isn't sure how to proceed once he's done all the fancy stuff. Yes I know he'll probably have a stormer against us now I've said this, but I've watched him quite a lot and don't see anything *close* to a £40m player.
He's still unproven in a lot of ways but to pass up on him would be a mistake and it's these sort of players we need to be investing in for the future.

He ticks all the boxes in where our future lies as a club.

Why would it be a mistake when I think our academy is producing players just as good? I think Marcos Lopes can be better than Barkley given a couple of years more development. He may not stand out as much but he has a footballing brain and could correspond to our style of football a lot more than Barkley appears to. Barkley's passing is OK, some nice long passes especially, but clumsy and every game he seems to put his team in danger with wayward passes when they're pushed up the pitch.

If I was throwing out £40m I'd much rather it go on Sterling than Barkley. Sterling delivers far more and has already shown signs of handling high pressure situations, like when they played us. But I think we can produce footballers a lot more suited to our style than Barkley, who seems to lack some basic footballing intelligence that is so vital if you want to play for City.

+1, Lots better, never seen Barkley put in a performance anything like Lopes v West Ham last year where he ran them ragged. Had a hammer supporting mate who usually crawls under a rock when they lose ringing me at 90 mins gushing with praise for him.

aguero93:20 said:
LoveCity said:
nobody can eat fifty eggs said:
He's still unproven in a lot of ways but to pass up on him would be a mistake and it's these sort of players we need to be investing in for the future.

He ticks all the boxes in where our future lies as a club.

Why would it be a mistake when I think our academy is producing players just as good? I think Marcos Lopes can be better than Barkley given a couple of years more development. He may not stand out as much but he has a footballing brain and could correspond to our style of football a lot more than Barkley appears to. Barkley's passing is OK, some nice long passes especially, but clumsy and every game he seems to put his team in danger with wayward passes when they're pushed up the pitch.

+1, Lots better, never seen Barkley put in a performance anything like Lopes v West Ham last year where he ran them ragged. Had a hammer supporting mate who usually crawls under a rock when they lose ringing me at 90 mins gushing with praise for him.

Completely different players who play in completely different positions IMO.

Lopes has been poor for Lille and isn't even good enough to be playing in the French league. Somewhere Joe Cole shone. Not saying he won't make it but the idea that he's currently ready to play in place of Nasri/Silva/Navas is well wide of the mark.

Mister Appointment said:
aguero93:20 said:
LoveCity said:

Completely different players who play in completely different positions IMO.

Lopes has been poor for Lille and isn't even good enough to be playing in the French league. Somewhere Joe Cole shone. Not saying he won't make it but the idea that he's currently ready to play in place of Nasri/Silva/Navas is well wide of the mark.

Lopes was rated by an awful lot of their fans as their best player until he sustained a serious injury.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.