Roughest / Most unwelcoming cities in the UK

Not a city but St Ives in Cornwall ok it was 8 yes ago but the abuse my lads and me got from cornish rag fans was unbelievable. My lad was 12 at the time and was given grief in Halye co-op by the cash out kid, so I had to put the kid in his place. When walking around St Ives a bloke in his 50's called me a w**ker as he walked passed me much to my wife surprise. Than walking up the high street saw a few blue and stopped for a chat as us blue do ! And he told me he was kick out of a local pub as it was a rag pub only. I love Cornwall but I will never go back to St Ives or the coop in hayle. Just hope in a few weeks when I go back I dont get any grief from cornish rags !!!
My missus could believe the abuse we got in that one day ! I told her it will get worse the more success City have. But to be fair I have never had a problem anywhere else in Cornwall , and I go back every year ...I just avoid St Ives !!

Last edited:
Again, not a city but Borehamwood back in the 90s as a young policeman was an eyeopener and a good grounding for all things violence-wise. It didn't help that most of North London's most undesirable quota of the population were relocated there in the 50s and 60s. Absolutely f***ing hate the place.

Another vote for Plymouth as well and I am surprised nobody has mentioned Bolton yet.

Not a city but St Ives in Cornwall ok it was 8 yes ago but the abuse my lads and me got from cornish rag fans was unbelievable. My lad was 12 at the time and was given grief in Halye co-op by the cash out kid, so I had to put the kid in his place. When walking around St Ives a bloke in his 50's called me a w**ker as he walked passed me much to my wife surprise. Than walking up the high street saw a few blue and stopped for a chat as us blue do ! And he told me he was kick out of a local pub as it was a rag pub only. I love Cornwall but I will never go back to St Ives or the coop in hayle. Just hope in a few weeks when I go back I dont get any grief from cornish rags !!!
My missus could believe the abuse we got in that one day ! I told her it will get worse the more success City have. But to be fair I have never had a problem anywhere else in Cornwall , and I go back every year ...I just avoid St Ives !!

Been going St Ives and Hayle since I was a kid, the most recent visit bring only about 6 weeks ago. Never experienced anything like this ever. What was the rag pub?

Head in to some rough pub in an undesirable area of Liverpool and tell me a Manchester accent is going to get an easy ride? You wouldn't walk around the place in a City shirt either. You wouldn't.

All this "blending in" stuff... Come on! Whoever you are and whatever you believe, there's always going to someone who thinks you're a twat. I don't understand why people like Jeremy Corbyn yet all the smelly melons in Glastonbury were singing his name.
I think you've led a sheltered life mate. Some of your posts suggest you're still sucking on mother's milk, apart from when she lets you trot off to Failsworth for a pint; )

You've met me and I think you thought a was a twat, fair enough pal. I'm not arsed what you think if you do.

"You wouldn't walk around the place in a City shirt either".... You wouldn't I would and have. Do you think I'm making shit up?

And yes, been to Liverpool many times through football, working there night's/days out, and dating a scouser a few weeks. Worked in the centre, boozed in the centre and in quite a few rough n' ready suburbs of Liverpool and the Wirrel. Had brekkie in some real shithole cafs amongst scousers. I have worn a city shirt or club badge, I have walked round in shorts with the old round club badge tatt on my left calf. Some have mentioned it, took the piss a little but I gave as good as I got back.

It's all in the eyes peefree. If out of towners look like they're scared, then the natives will have you for supper, it's as simple as that. But being a streetwise battle scarred big ugly **** with a cheeky SOH has helped me I suppose; )

Another vote for Plymouth as well and I am surprised nobody has mentioned Bolton yet.

Stayed in Plymouth for a few nights some years ago. Seemed ok although my friend refused to go anywhere near Union Street as he reckoned it was dangerous. Few decent bars down the Barbican and seemed pretty chilled

Although in one particularly busy bar some guy asked me to get him a drink if he gave me the money as I was getting served. When I got back to my mate he was white and said thank god I’d got it as he was one of the local psychos!!

Apparently Andy Morrison and his brothers used to be quite well known around town !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.