Rubbish Sports thread

I actually like taking part in all sports, except Rugby, only played it twice once in school and then upon a mates request as an adult, which didn't end well, never sat right with me that someone thinks they can land one on you without any real retribution because "It's part of the game", if you want to do that, take up a fighting sport, where your opponent is facing you and knows the score ;-).

Watching though, F1 has to be the top one for me, followed by golf and cricket, bores the shit out of me.

Tried to give rugby a go a few years back. Gave up whilst someone was trying to explain the differences between league and union, topped off by his enthusiasm for 'ruggers' that started at uni. But I'd never say rugby is shite in the Welsh valleys or pennines!

Also golf, especially as a spectator. Only just above darts in calling them a sportsperson. Exercise yes, sport no. Do like watching the darts though, especially a bit of bully.

Am afraid I've never liked cricket either. A game that lasts days, breaks for tea, and can still end up not finishing. An Aussie I know was giving it the big old un after the ashes one time and couldn't get a rise out if a room fulll of 30 odd English with most unaware any cricket had been played. He was shocked that the majority of English didn't value cricket, I just don't have the patience.

Do find it amusing that America has taken two traditional English sports, in rugby and rounders, given them extra padded protection and proclaimed them the world's greatest. Why do so many baseball players look tubby, anyway? Do they need belly power to swing the bat? Also, World Series, that doesn't include the world! But they do know how to put on a spectacle.

Used to watch American Handegg on channel 4 I think it was, but gave up when the Rams became the somethings, the raiders relocated to Oakland and so on. It's totally in contrast to the local pride and rivalries I'm used to with traditional football. But I could appreciate the athleticism and skill.
RE: The World Series, it was originally called the Championship Pennant Race however in the early 1900's the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates challenged the owner of the Boston Red Sox(who were the 2 best teams) for a series to see who was the best. As baseball was only played in America at the time he called it "The World Championship Series" to see who was the best team in the world and the name just kind of stuck. Then in The 20's a newspaper renamed it The World Series and its never been changed since even though Baseball is now global

RE: The World Series, it was originally called the Championship Pennant Race however in the early 1900's the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates challenged the owner of the Boston Red Sox(who were the 2 best teams) for a series to see who was the best. As baseball was only played in America at the time he called it "The World Championship Series" to see who was the best team in the world and the name just kind of stuck. Then in The 20's a newspaper renamed it The World Series and its never been changed since even though Baseball is now global
Isn’t it played in about half a dozen countries?

I thought the world series was named after a newspaper that sponsored the competition?

I thought the world series was named after a newspaper that sponsored the competition?

The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'​

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

I enjoy golf, fishing and tennis but they aren't really great sports for TV unless you are an enthusiast.

The only other sports I watch on TV these days are football and rugby.

I find the likes of horse racing, darts, cricket, snooker, athletics, gymnastics etc incredibly dull but I am sure that they are loved by people who participate or practise them.

NFL, NHL and MLB are all ok in small doses but couldn't sit through a whole match on TV but would like to go to a game in the flesh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.