Rugby League thread

Warrington are like the City of rugby league, never fucking straight forward! Hopefully stuff Wigan this time.

Long memory me,I will never have Warrington and City liking to each other,I remember them ripping seats up in the Main Stand at Maine Rd back and throwing them at us in 89,when Joe Lydon popped over a drop goal from his own half to win in the Challenge Cup semi

City and Wire both went 35 years without winning a major trophy: City 1976-2011; Wire 1974-2009. I was at Wembley to see both sides break that 35 year drought. Great days both!

City and Wire both hold attendance records: City 84569 at Maine Road, the biggest English football attendance outside Wembley; Wire 102569 at Odsall, the biggest Northern Hemisphere rugby attendance of either code outside Wembley, the biggest crowd to ever watch a sporting even in the North of England.

A bit like City compared to the more successful clubs in football, Wire won the Challenge Cup before Wigan, St Helens and Leeds; and won a championship before Bradford, Leeds and Widnes ever did. And Wire have never been relegated unlike all of those clubs... Of course many of them have had more sustained success over the years and their fans like to rub that in Wires' faces (sounds familiar, eh?!)

It's always been a funny one with me and the Wire though as i'm not a Warringtonian (did live there for a few years when i did my degree at Padgate and did a bit of coaching of juniors for the club while i was there), i'm a Mancunian and do go and watch Manchester Rangers a few times a year now they're up and running again on a Saturday afternoon in the Summer... but i am a Wire despite not being from there.

I'll be there supporting them on Saturday though but i'm not expecting a win, much like i wasn't on Thursday at Saints, as Wigan have shown that they're a more consistently good team over the course of the season and Wigan are rightly favourites but in a one-off game you never know.

Now the Wire!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve decided to pop over for the game on Saturday and I will aim to pick up a ticket on the day. They hate me in the Bishops Blaise lol

City and Wire both went 35 years without winning a major trophy: City 1976-2011; Wire 1974-2009. I was at Wembley to see both sides break that 35 year drought. Great days both!

City and Wire both hold attendance records: City 84569 at Maine Road, the biggest English football attendance outside Wembley; Wire 102569 at Odsall, the biggest Northern Hemisphere rugby attendance of either code outside Wembley, the biggest crowd to ever watch a sporting even in the North of England.

A bit like City compared to the more successful clubs in football, Wire won the Challenge Cup before Wigan, St Helens and Leeds; and won a championship before Bradford, Leeds and Widnes ever did. And Wire have never been relegated unlike all of those clubs... Of course many of them have had more sustained success over the years and their fans like to rub that in Wires' faces (sounds familiar, eh?!)

It's always been a funny one with me and the Wire though as i'm not a Warringtonian (did live there for a few years when i did my degree at Padgate and did a bit of coaching of juniors for the club while i was there), i'm a Mancunian and do go and watch Manchester Rangers a few times a year now they're up and running again on a Saturday afternoon in the Summer... but i am a Wire despite not being from there.

I'll be there supporting them on Saturday though but i'm not expecting a win, much like i wasn't on Thursday at Saints, as Wigan have shown that they're a more consistently good team over the course of the season and Wigan are rightly favourites but in a one-off game you never know.

Now the Wire!
You missed out both have rich investors (though Moran is a local lad) and both moved into new grounds within 6 months of each other, PC.

Long memory me,I will never have Warrington and City liking to each other,I remember them ripping seats up in the Main Stand at Maine Rd back and throwing them at us in 89,when Joe Lydon popped over a drop goal from his own half to win in the Challenge Cup semi

I was at that game. It was brutal outside and in the stands. Warrington took a load of lads up for a scrap that day. All got on the train together and walked to the ground.

You missed out both have rich investors (though Moran is a local lad) and both moved into new grounds within 6 months of each other, PC.
And one strange one - City's, Wire's and Wembley's pitch dimensions are identical! (Really can't remember how i found that out haha)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.