Rule Changes | EFL & PL | 2023/24

I am absolutely convinced that after about two, maybe three weeks of the season these new rules (especially on added time) will be quietly forgotten.

Two points lead me to this: i) many are saying it is to mirror the extra injury time at the Qatar WC. But if people recall - those massive 100 minute games happened at the start of that tournament, but by the final group games things had gone pretty much back to normal. There was a reason for this: the TV companies who apart from the BBC exist on adverts could not handle 45 mins + 10/11/12 added-on time without an ad break. Furthermore, how much do Sky pay Souness, Neville, Roy Keane etc. to spout on about the games... they are not going to be happy paying them £££s if the punditry time has to be cut as the game has gone on for a blockbuster movie length.

ii) These extra ten minutes which people are predicting will it help or hinder Man City? Well help of course (a bit like the extra subs rule)... For example, instead of Alvarez coming on for the last 15 mins to give Haaland a rest, (coming on at 80 mins and 5 mins injury time) he can come on for 20, maybe more and how many goals extra will that amount to? I bet he'd get 20+ over the season if this rule stayed. Which is why it wont as the powers that be will quickly realise it helps City so they will revert to normal - probably after the international break in Sept.

If your league game ends 0-0 then you should only get half a point.
Too many teams game plan for a season is to get to 38 points and hope to grab a few wins in the mix to stay up.
It's so boring.

If your league game ends 0-0 then you should only get half a point.
Too many teams game plan for a season is to get to 38 points and hope to grab a few wins in the mix to stay up.
It's so boring.
Win: 4
Score Draw: 2
Scoreless Draw: 1
Loss: 0
More fouls than shots: -1
Average position of forwards in own half: -2
Manager name rhymes with Bin Hog or Flop: -3
Red primary colour of kit: -4
American owners: -10

It will work if they are all reading of the same hymn book ............us v Crawley there was 4 bookings early doors for little or no challenges..............Leeds v Cardiff same challenges early doors and no bookings and rightly so ............ So there is the issue of will come down again to consistency which there is a huge lack of it
Agree because the dutch Emperor Ming look -a- like hasn't fixed plenty of their issues,

Many teams come to the Etihad and look to waste as much time as possible hoping for a nil nil draw.
Why are they suddenly going to stop wasting time when the refs mate holds a board up saying 10 minutes ?

It is yet another stupid idea. Just implement the current rules. If a team waste time book them, if they feign injury play on. Why did we stop the match on Sunday because someone's boot came off ?

Many teams come to the Etihad and look to waste as much time as possible hoping for a nil nil draw.
Why are they suddenly going to stop wasting time when the refs mate holds a board up saying 10 minutes ?

It is yet another stupid idea. Just implement the current rules. If a team waste time book them, if they feign injury play on. Why did we stop the match on Sunday because someone's boot came off ?
common sense but it's howard webb were talking about and he wants a reaction

I suppose in an ideal world, players will soon get the message that they’re going to get booked and the time is still getting added on, so it’s pointless and they may aswell just get on with the game. Then added on time will come down again.

Time will tell. I do think there’s been some encouraging signs in the lower leagues already though.

I noticed a Wrexham player last night, shaped to tap the ball away after his mate had conceded a free kick. And just stopped himself in time realising that it would be a certain booking.

Lower league matches are generally a bit more evenly matched than a lot of Premier games though. Be interesting to monitor games this weekend like Arsenal, Forest. Brighton, Luton and of course the City game, to see how far the underdogs are prepared to push it and how the referees deal with it.

I'd love it the powers that be can stop nosey TV crews muscling in on the players on the pitch for "sound bites."

Last season they were getting increasingly brazen with invading team huddles and teamtalks, one camera crew went directly under the legs of a City player to "listen" in on a Gundo pep talk.
My pet peeve rearing its ugly head first game into the new season, with a camera crew rushing to barge in between a conversation with Pep and Erling Haaland at half time, and Pep noticing the mobile cameraman and pushing it away.

Cue Neville then criticising Pep for daring to coach his player while the whole world watches on all thanks to the intrusive SKY camera crew.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.