Running thread

Who’s been out doing a Park Run? Beautiful weather. Croxteth for me.

Missed out this weekend. All prepared to challenge my Park Run PB but went out for a warm up jog around 8 and I was slipping and sliding on ice. Its treacherous at the best of times, on tarmac around water, so gave it a miss.

Did a longer run instead later on and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Been a good week run wise 2x17ks and 2 x10ks.

So I finally plucked up the courage and got outdoors last week and did 2x 5k and then went on the treadmill on Friday for another 5k. Outdoors was tough, its going to take a few weeks to get used to different breathing, dealing with wind, uneven surfaces and hills of course. I have signed up for the Manchester half in October, with the aim of raising money for St Lukes hospice in Winsford. Ive downloaded a 1/2 marathon training programme but obviously I'm in no rush with that, I know I need to get to 10k first, has anyone got any good 10k plans they've used? Also, I need a new book to read, anyone read anything running related that they would recommend?

So I finally plucked up the courage and got outdoors last week and did 2x 5k and then went on the treadmill on Friday for another 5k. Outdoors was tough, its going to take a few weeks to get used to different breathing, dealing with wind, uneven surfaces and hills of course. I have signed up for the Manchester half in October, with the aim of raising money for St Lukes hospice in Winsford. Ive downloaded a 1/2 marathon training programme but obviously I'm in no rush with that, I know I need to get to 10k first, has anyone got any good 10k plans they've used? Also, I need a new book to read, anyone read anything running related that they would recommend?

Hi mate, well done on getting out there. You will quickly get used to running outdoors and from experience will find it much easier and more enjoyable than the treadmill.

Not got any good plans for a 10k but if you want some inspirational running reading ‘Running with kenyans’ is a great book as is ‘Eat and Run by Scott Jurek the ultrarunner. Those guys do 235 mile races which is pretty inspiring when I am half way round a Park run and want to call it a day. Also pop on youtube and watch ‘The unknown Hardrock 100’ or ‘Leadville 100’ or anything featuring Killian Jornet. Fantastic scenery and feats of endurance captured in small 25 minute movies.

To help you get your form right ‘The art of running’ by Malcolm Balk and Andrew Shields gives a lot of helpful hints.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Hi mate, well done on getting out there. You will quickly get used to running outdoors and from experience will find it much easier and more enjoyable than the treadmill.

Not got any good plans for a 10k but if you want some inspirational running reading ‘Running with kenyans’ is a great book as is ‘Eat and Run by Scott Jurek the ultrarunner. Those guys do 235 mile races which is pretty inspiring when I am half way round a Park run and want to call it a day. Also pop on youtube and watch ‘The unknown Hardrock 100’ or ‘Leadville 100’ or anything featuring Killian Jornet. Fantastic scenery and feats of endurance captured in small 25 minute movies.

To help you get your form right ‘The art of running’ by Malcolm Balk and Andrew Shields gives a lot of helpful hints.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

thanks! going back 4 years I was a very good experienced runner (I found a run on the nike app that I did in June 2015 which was 8k in 42 mins), having run all through my school years for the county and local club.. but I stopped and now need to start the journey again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.