Running thread

Does walking burn fat?
Yes but you'd need to do a lot of it and it takes a very long time which makes it inefficient. As with all fat-burning exercise, just bear in mind that it's laughably easy to out-eat it so you have to control that aspect carefully. Say you walk for two hours, covering, say, 5-7 miles, you might expect to burn about 500 kilocalories more than if you were sedentary (this figure will vary by person and with various other factors, of course).
You then only need to eat one chocolate bar or even a sandwich to undo that expended energy.

But yeah, if you have a decent walk several times a week and you eat appropriately, you can successfully burn fat.

In short, fat loss is mostly about diet rather than exercise.

Yes but you'd need to do a lot of it and it takes a very long time which makes it inefficient. As with all fat-burning exercise, just bear in mind that it's laughably easy to out-eat it so you have to control that aspect carefully. Say you walk for two hours, covering, say, 5-7 miles, you might expect to burn about 500 kilocalories more than if you were sedentary (this figure will vary by person and with various other factors, of course).
You then only need to eat one chocolate bar or even a sandwich to undo that expended energy.

You forget to mention digesting a meal uses a lot of calories too ;-)
Celery anyone?

You forget to mention digesting a meal uses a lot of calories too ;-)
Celery anyone?
I'm afraid that's a myth that seems to persist: this idea that some foods provide negative kcals (if that's what you're saying which you might not be!). It's just not true and there's no evidence to support it. But it does get repeated a lot.

I'm afraid that's a myth that seems to persist: this idea that some foods provide negative kcals (if that's what you're saying which you might not be!). It's just not true and there's no evidence to support it. But it does get repeated a lot.

Oh, I’ll keep repeating that digesting a meal is a calorie burner, for sure. In fact I really could do an FEB now.
As for a celery-only meal, that was of course tongue in cheek.

Agree fully mate. The only time I lost weight properly was longer runs combined with cutting out carbs from my evening meal.
And even then, you’re right, I lost some from the belly but I also lost a lot elsewhere, my face for example - which those around me told me didn’t do me any favours!

that’s same here I’m a lot thinner in the face than 12 months ago.

regret selling my home gym weights about 7 weeks ago now

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.