Running thread

Nottingham half marathon done.
2:00:13 , bloody 13 seconds away for par 2. Still happy with result as I hated every part of that race, was just not feeling it.
Decent time mate well done.

I just signed up for a 24 hour race next September. Pretty excited but I have a lot of work to do!

Any of you lot good with injuries?

Got back into running about 2 years ago (did a lot as kid/young teenager - 30 now) did a few park runs when I first started out (Worsley Woods) but then settled into my own routine 3/4 times per week and managed a couple of half marathons and 10km's.

After the Manchester Half back in May, I was getting prepared for the rescheduled Wilmslow Half with a couple of runs and about 2 miles into the last run (5KM) before Wilmslow, I had a tight pain shoot up the outside of my right knee. Afterwards, I did a lot of research and figured it was my IT band - done a load of foam rolling, stretching and massaging. I even went to a physio (first time ever) but they pretty much said to do the same stuff as I had been doing. I also use Youtube a lot.

Since the original injury, I've tried to get back to it a few times after rest and stretching/rolling etc but it comes back within the first mile or so. On a more positive note, I have managed a couple of light 2 mile runs down the canal near me (flat and no camber - which is a factor apparently)

Any of you suffered with this or know a way to get past it? It's frustrating because I can't seem to get going again and even though my last couple of runs have been successful, I just feel as though the injury could return again at any point.

Cheers

Decent time mate well done.

I just signed up for a 24 hour race next September. Pretty excited but I have a lot of work to do!

Is that the thunder run? Run it as part of a team or solo don’t you?

Got back into running about 2 years ago (did a lot as kid/young teenager - 30 now) did a few park runs when I first started out (Worsley Woods) but then settled into my own routine 3/4 times per week and managed a couple of half marathons and 10km's.

After the Manchester Half back in May, I was getting prepared for the rescheduled Wilmslow Half with a couple of runs and about 2 miles into the last run (5KM) before Wilmslow, I had a tight pain shoot up the outside of my right knee. Afterwards, I did a lot of research and figured it was my IT band - done a load of foam rolling, stretching and massaging. I even went to a physio (first time ever) but they pretty much said to do the same stuff as I had been doing. I also use Youtube a lot.

Since the original injury, I've tried to get back to it a few times after rest and stretching/rolling etc but it comes back within the first mile or so. On a more positive note, I have managed a couple of light 2 mile runs down the canal near me (flat and no camber - which is a factor apparently)

Any of you suffered with this or know a way to get past it? It's frustrating because I can't seem to get going again and even though my last couple of runs have been successful, I just feel as though the injury could return again at any point.

Cheers

Been fortunate up to now mate, only had issues with my calf’s to start with and foam roller worked a treat. Had little niggles in ankles or feet but nothing that’s stopped me running.

Is that the thunder run? Run it as part of a team or solo don’t you?

It's not Thunder Run although I hear that is really good. The run is Equinox 24. I'm running solo but you can run in teams up to 8 people. It's a 10k loop and you complete as many loops as you can

Cheers
Only ever long term injury I’ve had and drove me absolutely crazy. I’d rest, stretch, physio and after a few weeks with zero pain I’d try a very light run and 2 / 3 minutes in I’d get that sharp pain and I’d know. Took me about 7 or 8 months to get over it. I found the key was time and religiously doing the right stretching. Good luck with it as I know how frustrating it is.

Cheers
https://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/
I had one week off from running while doing this program every day. Then very easy period for a few weeks while still doing these excercises at least a few times a week. Been 4 months now and I've ran a half marathon and have almost no trouble at all with the knee.

Another 8 miles tonight in 1:04, hope to be able to keep at that pace next week and do the Manchester half in 1:40ish all being well.

Feel like I have overdone it this week-done 22 miles since Sunday and my hamstrings are very tight-going to not run now till the Manchester Half hopefully just need to rest up and it won't damage my attempt to get under 2 hours for the first time.

Cheers lads, will give that routine a go! Just purchased some therabands off amazon so hopefully will get some results soon. Looking at a light 1.5 / 2 miler at the weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.