Running thread

Yeah, just so refreshing. Don't like wearing excessive clothing when I'm running as I quickly overheat, so was out in my shorts & running vest along the Irwell in heavy rain on Saturday morning. Got some funny looks but felt great.

ahh I always take a thin jacket if its like that, just in case :D

Week 7 run 2 complete very nearly:(
After week 7 run 1 which is 25 minutes I felt a slight discomfort above my left knee, not actually in the knee above it on the left hand side, during todays run I was pretty confident got to about 15 minutes and feeling good and pretty strong, I was even contemplating doing 5k, last run I covered 4km ,when I started feeling discomfort again, thought no worries, I was running nice and steady, even considering upping the tempo, as I carried on I was starting to running with difficulties, and getting some pain, I ended up stopping with about a minute to go because it was making me limp run, got home put some frozen sweetcorn on it, what do people think it is, and what should I do about it

Reactions: ob
Did a 12 hour obstacle event through the night in September, completed it but damaged my knee and hip. The knee is damage to the bottom of my IT band, I'd had a similar injury 5 years earlier. Usually caused by running too quick too often, or by increasing mileage too soon.

Did 5k a day for 30 days through the end of Jan and Feb, but haven't got the knee right despite loads of rest and strengthening exercises. I've noticed it plays up after my boxing sessions too. Can almost feel a tendon glide over the outside of my knee from time to time throughout the day. It's like toothache down the exterior of my knee for days.

Hopefully I can get it right as I want to sign up for some ultra races next year but can't do that unless I can get up to marathon distance by the back end of this year reasonably pain free. I've even tried changing my running style to a wider stance so I'm pointing my knee out and not landing too narrow. Anyone else had any IT band tendinitis issues?

Reactions: ob
After week 7 run 1 which is 25 minutes I felt a slight discomfort above my left knee, not actually in the knee above it on the left hand side, during todays run I was pretty confident got to about 15 minutes and feeling good and pretty strong, I was even contemplating doing 5k, last run I covered 4km ,when I started feeling discomfort again, thought no worries, I was running nice and steady, even considering upping the tempo, as I carried on I was starting to running with difficulties, and getting some pain, I ended up stopping with about a minute to go because it was making me limp run, got home put some frozen sweetcorn on it, what do people think it is, and what should I do about it

Sounds similar to the knee injury I picked up whilst doing couch to 5k. At least you stopped, I continued my run in an attempt to "run it off" and made it worse.
Ice and elevation is the way to go, but see how it feels to walk on tomorrow.

I find frozen peas works well.

Seriously though, you did right to stop. There's no point getting an unnecessary injury, which might cause a prolonged absence from running.

I can't help you with the injury above the knee though. It's not one I've experienced personally. Maybe rest followed by an easy reintroduction to running.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.