Running thread

Definitely see your doctor. Blood tests are ready and only take a week for the results to come in.

No, there were no suggestions of altering my diet. I'm not sure what I might have needed to eat each day to attain 420mg of iron. My son bought me some iron filings for Christmas, but they are hard to swallow.
Probably easier to digest than the fillings you get in Subway....

Thanks mate - and hope you're energy begins to zing once again!

Had to stop Couch to 5k in week 3, both achilles playing up, very painful. Was enjoying it as well.

Let things heal, start from scratch & don't forget to do your stretches.
I had similar issues last year involving a knee injury in the early stages of couch to 5k, but have had no reoccurrences.

Does anyone know how realistic is it to be able to run a sub 20 minute 5k this year, if my current 5k time would be around 23 minutes?

I’m a 40 years old with a bit of excess around the waist. My fastest previous was probably around 21 minutes but we’re talking 6 years ago.

I kind of feel like it’s now or never.

Is it doable?
I agree with other posters that it is not now it never. At age 40 you have plenty if good years ahead of you. Indeed my best marathon and half marathon times were done at age 45 ish.

However, I think it is unrealistic to achieve sub 20 this year. It's about a 15 per cent improvement. It's a lot. What is your training routine to give a time of 23 minutes? What will be the training routine to give a time of 20 minutes? I think you need to do something radical. Such as doubling the weekly mileage (over time 10 percent a week), running twice a day, training 3 times a day (cycling twice), interval training, cross training, improved diet etc. All things I have done to see achieve afore mentioned PB.

Think long term. There is no rush.

It really depends on where your training is at, say for instance you have only been doing it a few weeks then yep easily achieved, but if you have been going at it for months then maybe you might struggle and need to change it around abit training wise.
I will say the now or never bit is all in your head, I didn't start running until I was 42 and only really got Into it during covid, my first 5k times were around the 30min mark, my pb now is 17.28 and I'm 23x2+1
I reckon your exceptional 5k time is a natural result of consistent high volume and quality marathon training over a number of years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.