Running thread

I'm 5 weeks into Marathon training for London in April '24. My long run on the weekend is up to 8 miles which the lungs and legs are ok with. The issue I have is that from 5 miles onwards in every run I have done so far is that my middle toe on my right foot stings like mad and feels like I have a cramp of sorts. I have wide'ish feet so bought trainers with a wide toe box (Altras) which has made f' all difference. The only way I can relieve the pain is to take my shoe off and stretch my toes up and down repeatedly for a couple of minutes and then it subsides for another couple of KM's. Does anyone have any advice?

Reactions: ob
i thought the kids were back at school,it was quiet at first then it started filling up with the screaming splashing sods,how dare they have fun in the summer :)

Which pool did you go to? When I'm in Manchester I normally go to the Aquatics Centre. The 50m length scares off the kids, and when they put the divider up in the middle, they keep the 25m section for "swim for fitness" and the 23m bit for kids dicking about.

What's everyones thoughts on upping mileage/kms over more shorter runs for increasing speed and endurance?

Struggling to fit in a run every day as pop in a walk and gym sessions (either weights or yoga classes) but started adding a Weds eve 12k (which I want to increase now my running mojo is slowly returning).

Can't make the track intervals atm (also on a weds) but a return to those eventually will help.

So at the moment, I do Saturday 5k Park Run, a Monday evening run (6k) and this mid week 12.

Still nursing long term hamstring issue too which will need a thorough look at soon.
This last sentence is important.

You need to be conscious of your 'accumulative load' (I think that's the right term lol). If you're running 21k per week with gym sessions too, you need to be careful increasing that too quickly - or risk a further injury.

Don't go from 12k to 15k for example, build yourself up week by week adding 1k or something like that.

I'm 5 weeks into Marathon training for London in April '24. My long run on the weekend is up to 8 miles which the lungs and legs are ok with. The issue I have is that from 5 miles onwards in every run I have done so far is that my middle toe on my right foot stings like mad and feels like I have a cramp of sorts. I have wide'ish feet so bought trainers with a wide toe box (Altras) which has made f' all difference. The only way I can relieve the pain is to take my shoe off and stretch my toes up and down repeatedly for a couple of minutes and then it subsides for another couple of KM's. Does anyone have any advice?

potentially worth strapping the toe?

Which pool did you go to? When I'm in Manchester I normally go to the Aquatics Centre. The 50m length scares off the kids, and when they put the divider up in the middle, they keep the 25m section for "swim for fitness" and the 23m bit for kids dicking about.
Cheadle baths, it's 5 minutes away

This last sentence is important.

You need to be conscious of your 'accumulative load' (I think that's the right term lol). If you're running 21k per week with gym sessions too, you need to be careful increasing that too quickly - or risk a further injury.

Don't go from 12k to 15k for example, build yourself up week by week adding 1k or something like that.
I’ve a feeling if I see a physio I’ll be asked to cease all pressure on it (or potential operation).
I actually feel it more in yoga as I can’t fully bend the right leg (the left is super flexible).
Hits a point where I can’t bend it any further (tight with pain).

With running it tends to be less pronounced but after nearly a year it’s clear it won’t heal in its own (& I dread having to stop training for my own well being sake).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.