Running thread

I checked what my time was for the first 5k of the half marathon and it was 20:48. Am I allowed to enter that for the 5k?
View attachment 15028
I've never actually raced a 5k so it turns out that this is my PB by default!
Blimey. Yes you should be allowed to submit that. A 5k only time could be around 18 minutes and I aint competing with that. You can bugger off to the Super League now.

Went to tatton park this morning but weren’t letting cyclists in. Well done.
They were around the other side mate, closed road and a load of lycra looneys deciding they own the place!! Lots of pram runners going towards the race as well, I mean when is taking the little uns out in the buggy towards a load of runners ever not a great idea

You've made the school boy error of doing too much too soon. A cautious approach is to build up weekly mileage by about 10% per week to avoid injury. This is not possible when starting from nothing so you should try running no more than about a mile every other day. As a cyclist you are particularly liable to injury because you have the cardiovascular fitness but not the leg strength. Cycling is non weight bearing and you may lack bone density. Running strengthens bones. Think weeks to strengthen muscle, months to strengthen ligaments and years to strengthen bones.

I was a first and foremost a cyclist commuting 5000 miles a year and competing in time trials. A goal was to beat the hour for 25 mile TT. One winter I took up running to improve fitness. I too struggled to run and had niggling injuries, despite also playing football regularly at the time. But I persevered and developed running fitness.

Eventually I stopped cycle time trialling and took up marathon running instead!
I went the other way.

In my early teen's I was an avid cyclist. Not competitive, but I cycled pretty much everywhere. I took up running in my 30, and have competed in loads of 10k, Half-marathon and full marathon events (road and trail). I got a hip flexor injury, and had a long lay off, and then never really got back into serious running. About 5 years later, I took up cycling again, mainly commuting and my CV fitness improved hugely.

It's not that I've done zero running in between (I run up 3 flights of stairs about 5 or 6 times a day at work and I'll occasionally do a short 1500m jog after a ride just to loosen off), just not structured, progressive running training. I think the cause of this injury is probably due to an underlying issue with my Achilles combined with a crap surface (cambered concrete pavement), and I probably should have stopped the moment it started to cramp.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.